Prman 21 is out Reyes is dead.

sebkaine

https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/REN/RenderMan+21.0

Reyes is dead so is RSL ... a page is turn !

Mantra is now the best relic and replacement of the RSL era ! :)

Hope SESI will keep the logic of maintaining

- Reyes

- Raytrace

- PBR

connected with unified VEX control over the 3 world.

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sebkaine said:

https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/REN/RenderMan+21.0

Reyes is dead so is RSL ... a page is turn !

Mantra is now the best relic and replacement of the RSL era ! :)

Hope SESI will keep the logic of maintaining

- Reyes

- Raytrace

- PBR

connected with unified VEX control over the 3 world.

I don't think we need to keep the distinction between Raytrace and PBR though. And I am sure that one will be deprecated pretty soon.

But I totally agree that we should keep the Micropolygon hider at any cost. It is still soooo useful :)

• Like 1

Dennis as you know mantra really well, would you have in mind a scenario were raytrace could do things or have the edge over PBR ?

In other word in what scenrio ditching the raytrace module would represent a lost in the toolbox ?

What i like in PRman is their integrator logic, especially the VCM stuff with caustics without using photon map.

i would love to see some bidirectionnal path tracing effort inside mantra. 

ggx refraction / physical dipersion / physical absorption by default would also be a great addon.

Edited by sebkaine

Well I always use Raytrace in favour of PBR as I have the pbrlighting code right inside my shader which means it's very easy to hand over per shader information that I can use in my customized pbrlighting code.

I also like the fact that I can tweak the result of the lighting calculation inside my shader and fiddle with the output variables and AOVs. I just think it's a more flexible system than PBR which basically just hands over the information from the output VOP to the pbrlighting code without the possibility to directly do something with the result.

• Like 2

right but it's up to you , if you are surfacing artist this pre build rendermna shader is enough for you  , because it's enough for Pixar artist in Finding Dory , But if you are a shader Developer you can write your own shader with C++  (Shader writing is mean you design a new shading model algorithm and new light behavior structure  , not just using the old shading model as a base shader and write some line of code for assign a pattern or texture to them) 

Sorry far bad En

Edited by morteza

With OSL supported by VRay, 3Deligt, Appleseed, Cycles, FluidRay and hopefully in the next release Octane, it would enable you to write one shader for all these renderers and switch the render engine without a complete reshading of all surfaces. This way you could choose the best renderer for your task. Doing the same with C++ is much more complicated and you have to care about light loops and volume stepping yourself instead of letting the renderer choose the best settings.

• Like 1

the whole pint of physical correct shading system is, you don't have hack/write shaders anymore -->setup real world attribudes and done --> artist friendly..... of course is less fun then so digg into shading models and writing own stuff....

• Like 1