CMI VFX course reviews

art3mis

Hi Eco, I have purchased several of their courses over the years, I do like them, they do have some really good information in them.  I personally did learn a lot from their Houdini Debris system, Frictional viscosities, and Network relationships.  I would also say that a lot of the courses I have purchased from them haven't really been of much help.  However comparing the many course I have taken at both CMIVFX and at FXPHD, I personally found that I gained a more solid understanding of using Houdini in production from FXPHD.  Their courses, and CGworkshops, are much better for getting a foundation working in effects, where as CMIVFX works better to give you some good tips and tricks. 

Personally I would say that CGworkshops destruction in houdini, and pyrofx in film, are some of the best courses I have come across for Houdini beginners.  The FXPHD Houdini courses are also really worth the money.

As opposed to their tips and tricks series I would watch Peter quint's videos on vimeo; https://vimeo.com/user2030228

• Like 1

I've also had a good experience with CMI - the one caution I have is that many of the videos are very old (e.g. using dated copies of Houdini). There's a lot of translation needed for modern revs of the software. If you are comfortable in Houdini, you shouldn't have too many issues but I'd look at something more current if you are just starting with the software. 

I agree, CMI is not too bad, but the quality is quite different in the single videos. Some only show more  how to use the shelf, others go in detail very much what is great. The problem with CMI is that terrible interface and the unstable video player. This will change in the near future. The interface will be more suitable to video playing. Maybe you should wait until they updated the UI and do all the free ones you can get, e.g. the great ones form Entagma on vimeo or as already mentioned Peter Quints tutorials and all the SideFx master classes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, haggi said:

I agree, CMI is not too bad, but the quality is quite different in the single videos. Some only show more  how to use the shelf, others go in detail very much what is great. The problem with CMI is that terrible interface and the unstable video player. This will change in the near future. The interface will be more suitable to video playing. Maybe you should wait until they updated the UI and do all the free ones you can get, e.g. the great ones form Entagma on vimeo or as already mentioned Peter Quints tutorials and all the SideFx master classes.

Yeah, their buggy video player and slow / unreliable playback has been a beef of mine for a while now. If you're charging people $50+ for most videos you really need to have that kind of stuff sorted out. I'm definitely pleased that they plan on ditching the high-concept UI and improving the video player.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2016 at 0:32 PM, jrockstad said:

Yeah, their buggy video player and slow / unreliable playback has been a beef of mine for a while now. If you're charging people $50+ for most videos you really need to have that kind of stuff sorted out. I'm definitely pleased that they plan on ditching the high-concept UI and improving the video player.

Yeah kinda pissed I subscribed and had to put up with such a garbage video player. 4 hour videos + unstable player = frustrated customer. 

If I had to do it all over again I would just buy Rohan Dalvi's vids

He has a ton of free videos too so you can sample his work before you start buying.

Some of the videos on CMIVFX are without equal, the L-system series, the audio animation vid, and Kim Goosens procedural modeling were all fantastic in my view. Though I am more into games and procedural modeling/animation than big block buster film vfx. The only thing I would really caution with CMIVFX is they seem to be focused on Cinema4D training now more than Houdini. Those may or may not interest you, but for me they don't add any value to the subscription.