CHOP Recipe Walk Cycle Biped?

Atom

Hi All,

I have been playing around with adding some subtle movement to my character using CHOPs. Things like shoulder twist and hip sway linked to a WAVE node. It got me thinking perhaps there is a way to simply emulate an entire walk cycle using CHOPs?

I thought I'd ask if anyone has a node recipe of a CHOP net they may have used to accomplish such a goal.

I found this image online which shows a pattern for about 5 basic controls on a rig and the patterns the CHOP would need to reproduce.

walk_cycle-1.jpg

Edited by Atom

it would be a lot of work but might be cool, if it could be repurposed to many characters...

as a first step...I'd animate a basic walk cycle and then use a trail SOP to build curves to represent the motion of each bone - then try to re-create them in CHOPs

or record the rotation of each bone and do the same...

thinking about this a little more...

it might be good to start with the hips

drive the transformation of the hip (bone or ctrl etc) with CHOPs - just in one direction, with a bit of up and down, and a little side to side rotation.

you could get the rest height of the foot IK ctrls and store that, then get the height of the hips every frame, then start introducing an up and down motion to the foot ctrls. you'll know how far down they can go based on the position of the hips and the distance to the ground, and how high they can go based on their distance to the hips. also you'll know that when the foot ctrls hit the ground they have to stay in place until the hips move forward beyond some amount...