Curve to polygon?

Juzwa

Hi, 

So I decided that I want to model this in Houdini. It might be painful at the beginning but I want to start using Houdini more on a daily basis. 

I need a folded rolled piece of cloth, something like this:

Folded Rolled Cloth

So at first I thought that bend sop will help. But unfortunately it does some weird bending and I dont have enough control to roll the cloth together. It just creates a curly shape.

So my other idea is to start with curves! Ok owesome, but can I somehow convert curve shapes into polygons?

The Curve SOP in Houdini actually creates polygons by default, so you could actually just draw a rough poly curve and smooth it to get the right shape, but it's really no problem to start with NURBS. In that case, I would immediately follow the curve with a Convert SOP, then a PolyExtrude to get the base surface, followed by another PolyExtrude for thickness, just extrude along local Z axis in both. Remember to tick off the Output Front parameter in the first PolyExtrude though, otherwise the second won't work properly. 

I like Aaron's skinning of the carpet. I found a spiral unrolling line on the forum and mixed those two HIP files together to produce a 1st draft of a red carpet unrolling. You control the radius by simply sizing the cylinder inside the rolling_line_source.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_rollout_red_carpet.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 3