UV sets and alembic

So are you implying that the UVs are getting lost somewhere along the way?

If so figure out which application is losing the data and ask the question for that application. If it is a Maya problem, ask on the Maya forum. But I remember Wayne Hollingsworth mentioning something about how you have to do this for a successful round trip.

You may want to check out his video presentation on using Houdini in a Maya pipeline.

3 hours ago, Atom said:

So are you implying that the UVs are getting lost somewhere along the way?

If so figure out which application is losing the data and ask the question for that application. If it is a Maya problem, ask on the Maya forum. But I remember Wayne Hollingsworth mentioning something about how you have to do this for a successful round trip.

You may want to check out his video presentation on using Houdini in a Maya pipeline.

Well I tried re importing the abc file into Maya and it has the UV sets but when checking them in Houdini with an Alembic Archive set to Houdini Geometry it only recognizes one set of UV's. Though I have tried an FBX file and they seem to bring them in. I have a solution now but it would be nice to know if there is a way with Alembic as I tend to have less problems with alembic regarding scale and position than I do with FBX.

I'll check out that video when I get a chance.

Last time I had to deal with multiple UV sets, FBX was the only way. ABC did not work. I don't know if that's changed as it's been a couple of years, but to the best of my knowledge FBX is your only option.

• 1 year later...

hey all i thought i'd add to this as i've been banging my head off it for most of today :huh:

alembic with maya seems to suck goat cheese... i tried a heap of things to get the uvs out...

anyway i read on another thread that someone used an attribute promote to transfer the vertex uvs to point uvs before they exported.

this made no sense but i gave it a go and weirdly it worked?!

fbx seems to have work for still frames but a sequence wouldn't play ball annoyingly dont know whats going on there.

(i'm using maya 2015.5 btw here for the lolz)

• Like 1