Brickouz

Hi! I'm starting with Houdini, and I would like to know how to combine a cached animation and Houdini's RBD. I know that this question has already been asked on this forum, but as I said, I am a beginer, and I would need reaaaaly basics answers. (I don't know any one who uses Houdini so sometimes I have simple problems that I can not solve).

So my problem would be : 

- I receive an animation made with maya. I export an alembic (or a cache, FBX? Is there a best way?). I import it into Houdini.

-The animation works, but when I set it as a RBD solver (or FEM, or anything that has something to do with gravity), the animation doesn't work any more.

-I heard on this forum about a RBD keyframe node, about "Use geometry Transform", but I'm really too new to be able to use these informations.

For exemple, if I want to use this alembic (attached file) : it is a little sword, I want it to be breakable, and to keep its animation. How would you do this?

I hope somebody will find the time to answer to my questions, thank you!

petite epee.abc

• Like 1

what you need to check is how rbds work in dops. when you import your animated geo into dops, dops assume the first simulation frame as inital state of the geo and wont refresh the geo.
In your case you want you should do some reading in the docs. In a nutshell: 

RBDs are set to active by default, so the solver know that object needs to be solved. But you have the possibility to set it to deactive (i@active == 0). And when using bullet your are able to set an attribute "@animated" to 1 to make dops aware that it should refresh the animated geo.
Check the file for a crude example

animated_rbd.hip