[novice] Adding gravity to geo at the Object level

art3mis

Hi

Have read the documentation but am still confused. Gravity force is only available at the DOP level. But I am trying to simply have a torus be influenced by gravity and drop into a Flip tank.

Do I need to create a DOP network containing gravity force and link out side to the torus, or is there another way?

1 hour ago, deniz said:

you can use simple euler integration. http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=The_solver_sop

you could do that, but as soon as you add wind (or any other kind of torque force) on the torus it will become exponentially more difficult to do in SOPs

Not to mention, when it actually hits the fluid in your fliptank...

• Like 1

I think the simplest thing to do is to create a DOP network...Having such a network allows you to do any kind of simulation, such as sand, smoke, water, ... and you also get collision for free (i.e. when your torus drops in the tank). All what you need to do is to select the torus and then on the shelf tool click on RBD object, next click on ground plane and your are done.

As per doing it yourself, would need to take care of : linear motion, angular motion, finding the center of mass, moment of inertia and collision detection if the torus hits any object (for a torus, this is easy but I don't think it's worth the effort...)

4 hours ago, acey195 said:

you could do that, but as soon as you add wind (or any other kind of torque force) on the torus it will become exponentially more difficult to do in SOPs

Not to mention, when it actually hits the fluid in your fliptank...

yeah sure, tough its clear, when the other forces are not affecting the torsus in dop, thanks for the heads up! 

Edited by deniz