How to 'paste relative' whole nodes?

Houdini beginner here with a question regarding nodes, and relative references.

When I do compositing in BMD Fusion, I use the "paste instance" function very often, and I'm a little shocked to find that pasting "instances" (relative references) of whole nodes doesn't seem to be a function here in Houdini. Am I missing something?

Specifically what drives me to this question is the following scenario...

I'm experimenting with multiple mantra render nodes to render different objects (one polygonal mesh, one volume), and it would be really nice to be able to copy the 1st mantra node, paste relative, and simply decouple the "Candidate Objects" field so only that variable would change, but the rest of my render settings (i.e. pixel samples, etc) would stay hooked to the original node.

Of course if all this can be done in one mantra node with image planes, I'd love to hear about that as well...

Hi,

I've created a mantra node A , made pixel sampling to 1x1, then copied/pasted this mantra node -> in the new mantra node B, I got the same pixel sampling, i.e. 1x1. Now, if I want this pixel sampling parameter in B to copy the original parameter in A, then I would go to A, right click on pixel sampling -> copy the parameter I want, then in B I would right click -> "Paste Copied Relative Reference", once you do so you will find some scripts that copy pixel sampling from A to B. Now, if you copy/paste B into D, then you will find D also reference A. So, you just need to configure B for the first time to contain all parameters referenced in A, then copy/paste B and all instances will reference A.

Once you have a Reference Copy you can also right-click on any parameter in the Reference Copy and delete the channel reference. This creates a kind of half-instance node with unique values being present only on the parameters where you have deleted the connection expression. You may want to keep all your render settings the same yet write to different file names for example or render from another camera.

Edited by Atom