Creating Rain FX

tushar v1

Hello everyone, 

I am looking to make rain FX like in Batman vs Superman and Pacific Rim with that I want to add everything like crown splashes when the rain is colliding to the ground and wet maps etc. 

Kindly help me on that, a hip file would be helpful 

Hii Atom, 

I tried orbolt rain generator, but it not helping me much I started working on the file but due to some reasons I cannot post the file,  but at very I wanted to ask how can I create crown splashes with Particle like when particle collide with ground I added popreplicator to make crown shape. And I want that shape. Kindly help me on that. 

2 hours ago, 6ril said:

hey, you should start, and post a hip file. So we know your level, and where you get stuck.

otherwise it's like asking : please do my work for free. And you won't get much help.

Hii, 

I am sorry but due to confidential reasons I am not able to post the hip file. I tried orbolt rain generator it is not very helpful to me. The area were I am stucking is I want to make crown splashes when particle collide with  ground and for that I am using popreplicator, but instead of getting that I am getting very random shapes.  

Kindly help me on that

5 minutes ago, 6ril said:

Do like we all do, make a simple version where you won't have confidential problems. You will get more and quicker help this way.

Hi, 

Yes, I know that but Studio where I am doing this R&d has strong internet policy because of that I am not able to put any hip file. 

Kindly help me on that 

4 minutes ago, 6ril said:

4 minutes ago, 6ril said:

aouch !

I'd hate to work under those conditions with Houdini ! I'd be lost so often without ODforce to unstuck me!

Come to India in most of the Studios you have to work under same conditions, 

Kindly help me to get out of this problem 

• Downvote 1

You can get away with just doing a particle sim. If you are doing any kind of slow motion and you are close to the splashes then, I would recommend doing flip. I would do about 5 difference varieties of flip and then just clean it up and instance that library to all the different rain splashes. Take a look at this reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelLd208eKs

In realtime, you can barely tell that the splash from the rain is even a crown splash. Slow-mo though, you can definitely tell but even then, the actual "crown" only lives for a brief instant. I don't know how far you have gotten with all of this but, this should start you off doing the particle method. I have only done the birthing part for you since I am unsure what you are going for in a final look.

splash_start_RB.hipnc

17 hours ago, rbowden said:

You can get away with just doing a particle sim. If you are doing any kind of slow motion and you are close to the splashes then, I would recommend doing flip. I would do about 5 difference varieties of flip and then just clean it up and instance that library to all the different rain splashes. Take a look at this reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelLd208eKs

In realtime, you can barely tell that the splash from the rain is even a crown splash. Slow-mo though, you can definitely tell but even then, the actual "crown" only lives for a brief instant. I don't know how far you have gotten with all of this but, this should start you off doing the particle method. I have only done the birthing part for you since I am unsure what you are going for in a final look.

splash_start_RB.hipnc

Hii Rigel, 

You got my problem,  actually the shot is in slow motion where the camera is facing towards the ground. Well thanks for your help. I'll try this and than let you whether it is working or not? 

• 2 weeks later...

You can use flip as Cyril told you, you just need a few crown splashes from flip to create a library, and then use those already cached splashes in your setup, for example where a drop hits the ground you can instance your splash mesh, you can bring the normal from the collision geo and create an orient for your splashes out of that.