HOUPLA

anakin78z

Hi,

finally recovered from all the drinking on thursday night....

Just wanted to say that Houpla totally rocked. Kudos to Antoine and Doug for putting it on, and to all the presenters for making it interesting, and of course to sesi for those yummy snacks. I can't believe it was only the first meeting this year! Time goes by so fast...

That's all I wanted to say.

:D

HOUPLA, isn't that a Houdini user group or so? I think I've heard of it before ...

I'd loved to be there aswell. But the chances for me to ever be on such events (same goes for Siggraph) is 0.0000001%... :(

I am toatly new to Houdini. Just started working on the aprrentice CD two nights ago.... But I am toatly dedicated to mastering Houdini.... I live and work in the LA area and would like to join HOUPLA.. I used to regularly attend MGLA and the macromedia users group years ago... How do I join up? When and where are the meetings? And do we need to bring our own beer? :blink: I have taken the introductory course at sesi and built the roller coster. If I ever get a chance to take another class I will never sit in tha back of the room again.

Hi there,

Welcome to Houdini and (more importantly) the Houdini community! HOUPLA mails get sent out every now and then to the Houdini mailing list, and they have very small web presence over here. We at od[force] are going to try to remember to post news of any event in the forum and at the main page.

Welcome again!

I am toatly new to Houdini. Just started working on the aprrentice CD two nights ago.... But I am toatly dedicated to mastering Houdini.... I live and work in the LA area and would like to join HOUPLA.. I used to regularly attend MGLA and the macromedia users group years ago... How do I join up? When and where are the meetings? And do we need to bring our own beer? :blink: I have taken the introductory course at sesi and built the roller coster. If I ever get a chance to take another class I will never sit in tha back of the room again.

Hey Todd, I'm a newbie myself at Houdini but have been VERY impressed with the Apprentice and the learning materials included. It's by far the best free deal out there.

I'm curious to know more about the introductory course that you took. You mentioned that you built a rollercoaster. Would it happen to be the same tutorial bundled with Apprentice? How long was the course and what was the cost? Do you think it's worth it? I might be looking into taking some classes myself.

Cheers!

Yeah it was the same roller coster that is on the houdini apprentice cd...(which rocks!) ... The class only cost $25 and lasted for two evenings. (7-10). Although they do not teach the class that often.... SESI will only teach the class if they can get a group together large enough to pay the cost for keeping people there late... But the staff there is awesome and took a lot of time to make sure that everyone was keeping up.. I went with a group of maya friends and we were definately the only people that had never used Houdini before... The experience prompted me to get an HP instead of buying another mac... Now that I have downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for the Quadro4 900gxl Houdini smokes.... Last night was my first real experience and I am just thrilled by Houdini and the performance of the HP...

Later Todd Dufour

Wow. THat's really great to hear. :)

Remember, if you can't do something one way, chances are, there is another way to do it. THat's the open nature of Houdini. :)

Which HP machine did you got? I was definitely impressed with Houdini under my school's HP x4000 machines that run on 900XGL. Better than I expected.

Cheers,

Alex

-----------------

Gees! I just saw your post in SideFX forum. You've got a really sweet system! :o

:)

iam on HP x4000 linux RH7.1 + win2k with a fireGL something or other...absolutely no problems, at home is an assortment of different outdated machines either running linux, win2k, XP...they run just as good to ...and my point is?....i can build my own!!! yay! :blink:

Mike C.

edit: not being sarcastic, just jealous! that machine you are running is yummy!!

:D

Yeah the machine just rocks.. I know that I paid too much and that I could have tried to piece something together for a lot less. I just did not want to have to deal with technical problems... I used to have my own motion and web design company and had to deal with all issues in running a small tech biz. I have to say that system downtime just sucked... Nothing like having a machine go down for a while to destroy the bottom line.... I currently work as a special FX/motion graphics designer at a post house in Hollywood.... A typical day is 10 - 12 hrs.. I also have 3 kids and a wife.. So I do not have a lot of time to study Houdini so I wanted to get the best most interactive machine I could..... At work we have a few HP x4000 and the technical support that HP has given both me and the company that I work for is awesome.... I have only had the machine since this monday and it is the first PC I ever bought.... (I am a MAC fanatic OS X rocks) I hate admitting that I am blown away with the interactivy of Houdini on this machine.... When going from objects to shops the panes change instantly with no interface lag....

I have to quote Ferris Buelers Day off

If you have the means I highly suggest that you get one... It is so choice...

Got to get some work done OUT!