viewport slow; pc build check

poobunnies

Hi all,

Completely new to Houdini and this forum!

I am Cinema4D-er learning Houdini on a brand spanking new PC. It's also my first build so not-so-bright choices may have been made...

It seems my viewport/perspective view is taking up so much time (Red-zone on the Performance Monitor).

Figured I'd start by checking my hardware, so please judge my build for anything that is off... (Don't judge me :P)

Thanks for your help

i7-7700K

Asus Prime Z270-A

Corsaie LPX DDR4-2133

MSI GeForce GTX 1060

perf.PNG

Edited by poobunnies
changed pic, edited build list

If you check the newer threads, you'll see that both here and over the sidefx's forums there are at least a couple people complaining of something similar, which indicates it's probably a bug. You can try updating for newer daily builds

That said, I don't have this problem on W10 Indie 16.0.504 (which is the release version I think) with a 1080/6700k

11 minutes ago, vtrvtr said:

If you check the newer threads, you'll see that both here and over the sidefx's forums there are at least a couple people complaining of something similar, which indicates it's probably a bug. You can try updating for newer daily builds

That said, I don't have this problem on W10 Indie 16.0.504 (which is the release version I think) with a 1080/6700k

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out

I do have this problem as well on Windows 10 using a 1070GTX 16.504. Horribly slow viewport performance even on a million point counts. My bet is that all that new eye candy is part of the problem. I hope it gets fixed but I am not really holding out any golden hope that the app will magically become faster.

On the same hardware I can take the same .OBJ file that Houdini has trouble with and breeze through viewport operations on Blender and Marvelous Designer.

This is what I experience with a single terrain and a single space ship in my viewport. I have no control at all. The viewport jumps all around and Houdini constantly displays the stopwatch. I can't even frame up a  two object shot.

slow_viewport.gif

Here is the same terrain and space ship inside Blender's viewport. Much smoother and easier to control.

blender_viewport.gif

Edited by Atom

Please try most recent build first. I think this was fixed in first daily builds right after H16 release as was mentioned in multiple places across both boards. If that problem persists even in most recent build, please submit a bug report with your hip file and your Houdini info to help solve this issue. Having hope is nice, but taking action make difference.

On 2017-03-05 at 8:01 AM, Atom said:

I do have this problem as well on Windows 10 using a 1070GTX 16.504.

Download any H16 daily build and this should take care of the viewport sluggishness.

Others ran into issues with the UI being sluggish and upgrading to the nvidia 378 drivers (from 376) really helped.

• Like 1