GL Reflections

Guest tar

I think so (sheepishly...) at first nothing happened....then I just did a 'dummy' render to see if my mat is reflecting in the Render View...after that everything worked back in the Scene View

I did have to go into D>Effects and turn on HDR Reflections tho...

OK now I'm reeeeeaaallly sheepish...what's GL Reflections ?

Edited by Noobini

Thx! Tested again but in linux and it's working but there are many co-planar artefacts and is incredibly crashy. 

GL Reflect is the OpenGL Renderer used in the viewport. The parameter is GL Reflect.

Reflections requires HQ Lighting, Reflections enabled, and a material with the GL reflect parm/tag set to a value greater than the minimum reflect display option. As of build 550, Metallic will be used if the GL reflect parm isn't found, so Principled shaders will work out of the box for metallic objects.

It works by removing the reflective object and rendering a cubemap of the scene at the objects origin using normal quality rendering. As such it can't do self reflection or multibounce reflection between two reflective objects. There is also some minor distortion at the edges of the reflective object for geometry that's far away from the origin.

It seemed pretty stable when I tried it, so if you have a case that's not working please submit a bug.

• Like 1

thanks! bug just submitted. Noticed that you have to add a light to get the reflections to work. The original 16x16 res feels very low too so the crashes seem to be related to modifying it.

thx - for some reason I can still crash it. I'll throw out the display preferences and test more.

EDIT: the crash is happening when opening a new 'Scene View' tab after setting the new Reflection map size, say to 512 & clicking 'Save as Default'. 

EDIT2 - thanks for fixing. Linux is rad for bug fixes :)

Driver 378.13.0.0

crash.GLReflectTest.jack_32036_log.txt

GLReflectTest.hiplc

Edited by tar

4 hours ago, Hamp said:

Hmm, area lights look a bunch of point lights, even in this mode.

but that's what area lights are :) just stochastically sampled point lights across an area... you can increase the Light Sampling in Display Options/Effects to help, and it looks ok  when there is roughness.

Diverging slightly but better shadows and light specular would greatly help GL renders.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:22 PM, marty said:

but that's what area lights are :) just stochastically sampled point lights across an area... you can increase the Light Sampling in Display Options/Effects to help, and it looks ok  when there is roughness.

Diverging slightly but better shadows and light specular would greatly help GL renders.

Agreed, however I cannot raise the samples enough for low or no roughness, where I would most need them for exact highlight placement.

A toggle to make them reflect a plane instead would be lovely for those situations imho.

Otherwise, love all the new shaded mode features.