VDB Points?

The new Convert VDB Points SOP will take a bunch of Houdini native points and make a VDB Points grid using it. For H16, there's not really much you can do off the shelf with these primitives other than create, load, save, visualize. It's really there more for studios (eg. dneg :) ) which have in-house tools which know how to operate on them directly before they're useful (practically) I think. They currently display slower than native Houdini points as well unless you set up a visibility group to limit what gets drawn in the viewport.

5 hours ago, edward said:

The new Convert VDB Points SOP will take a bunch of Houdini native points and make a VDB Points grid using it. For H16, there's not really much you can do off the shelf with these primitives other than create, load, save, visualize. It's really there more for studios (eg. dneg :) ) which have in-house tools which know how to operate on them directly before they're useful (practically) I think. They currently display slower than native Houdini points as well unless you set up a visibility group to limit what gets drawn in the viewport.

Ah I see, thanks! So there's no real benefit for us mortals to use? I was thinking like using it to store on disk, for rendering, or something along those lines when you are "done" and don't need to change anything.

27 minutes ago, goldleaf said:

if you need to save disk space, you might find it useful to convert large particle sets / point clouds into Points VDB and saving that VDB primitive to disk in your bgeo. Haven't tested rigorously but seems promising.

That sounds interesting :). I'd have to do some tests as well, cheers!

• 1 year later...
On 23/3/2017 at 1:17 PM, goldleaf said:

if you need to save disk space, you might find it useful to convert large particle sets / point clouds into Points VDB and saving that VDB primitive to disk in your bgeo. Haven't tested rigorously but seems promising.

That's exactly what i'm looking for, do you have, some examples ? Or Links ?

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting this thread.

We have been using vdbpoints to cache out heavy point cloud ( whitewater sim and sources, or heavy pop ) for a few months now. 

You can save up to 20-25 % of storage space ( ie for 10 million points or above ) 

The other cool feature is that using the delayed load toggle on the filecache you have the possibility of selectively load/unpack only chunks of the vdbpoints, (for example using a bounding box)

There are some examples of this in the hip scene provided by the official OpenVdb website:

https://www.openvdb.org/download/