Hello!

In this Masterclass, at 41:00, the teacher explains that fracture parts of the object can be localy modified using an attribute. So my question is about this : how do you control what part of the object will fracture? is there a way to connect the FEM solver to a voronoi attribute or anything like that?

Thank you for your time!

Yes! You can use the voronoi fracture node.
After you are done fracturing with voronoi, drop down the connectivity sop and rename class to "fracturepart" on prims. Done! ;)
Make sure you still use the solid embed node to convert everything to tetras.

Solid fracture is based on a random seed value based on the point position noise which isn't very controllable, as you mentioned.

-bf

Edited by bifrost
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

So I'm driving the fractures on my FEM object by at attribute - that that's working nicely. However, and this may be an inherent problem with FEM right now, but I'm getting enormous stretching artifacts when I have fracture enabled. It seems to appear somewhat randomly, but it may be due to the collisions and not enough substeps. I'll post a video when I'm at my workstation. Has anyone encountered this? I really am unsure how to tackle this problem without waiting days for the simulation to run through a million substeps.

Thanks!

Colby

So it seems to be completely broken. FEM freaks out and stretches the tets, no matter what I do. I tried simplifying the collision geo to just a sphere, and the collisions still seemed to be causing a problem. Oh well, I guess secondary fractures won't work yet. I'll just emit particles! Which is fine, but I'm a little disappointed.

I'll post a scene when I'm back on my workstation.

Edited by mavencolby
Forgot something!