Tread Creator

Noobini

Very nice! Stellar example of how procedural modeling would be used in conjunction with traditional modeling

because of course, it would be optimal, for texturing/animation purposes, that the treads themselves be modeled by hand with nice topology. Your setup is well suited for that too so again, great work!

p.s. In the future, be sure to put a relative path $hip/ for the external files, for convenience.

Edited by McNistor

Dang...I thought I did !!!...Yes will double check relative path next time....

Yeah I don't see why a custom built pattern wouldn't work...eg...draw your own curves (just like floor tiles)...so that's on my to do list and also how to make it work with a continuous strip...ie. i'll have to 'clip' top/bottom then fuse the repeating patterns together

nice work! like the blending of the profile as well :)

personally I would choose for controlling: the radius(or diameter) of the tire and then set the amount of segments; which then calculates the gap.
rather than what you have now, controlling: the length of the segments, the gap; which then calculates the radius of the tire.
That way you can switch out patterns and still have them fit on the same wheel/vehicle. ;)

yes..been thinking about Radius as the 'controller' too...since you're much more likely to have to model treads to fit a wheel of certain fixed size = radius...

another one on to do list :)

if anyone could tell me what to do about Normals...that would be great...

Right now, some pattern might have their Normals pointing opposite to errrrmmm..normal...ie. down...not a show stopper as the tread depth can extrude either way...but I'd like it to be consistent...so in my Flatten node I can add a second Vexpression to set N = (0,-1,0)...easy peasy...but then the treads look 'smooth' and not with their original 'sharp' edge look...what's going on ?

EDIT: OK, I should Add Vertex Normals in the extrude....but still puzzled why some geo works with positive extrude for tread depth...while some works for negative extrude....???

Edited by Noobini

Thanks but I think the real problem is vertex order -> vertex/prim normal -> how it is extruded...

ver 1.03:
- now user will have option to flip face normals so the extrude will consistently work in the positive direction (negative is still there)
- centre pivot and move to exactly on top of ground.....for export

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvgNse7E8aaygmh7yvPHwG_8sCgg

Edited by Noobini

success !!! works with continuous strip...but since now the repeating patterns are no longer packed, coz I have to fuse them together, it's damn sloooooow...I'll have to optimise somehow

ContinuousTreads1.jpg

True, the vertex order is what the side basically is. You can negate normal, and the side won't change: instead, the surface goes black with strange shading on grazing angles. Trace, as several other nodes, outputs side in a random manner. You can provide user checkbox to fix it himself when generated result is bad. But often you can automate process. Simplest way is:

1. Group primitives by normal: known-to-be-opposite; spread angle: close to zero. Zero is prone to floating point errors and may not group some of reversed prims.
  2. Reverse grouped prims.
  3. Delete the group. We don't want to supply our user with weird groups and useless attributes.

side_gotchas.hipnc

Edited by f1480187
  • Like 3