AMD GPU pro drivers stability

Guest tar

So the new Radeon Vega is shipping with pro drivers for a $1k card. This sounds like it will be nice and stable compared to the ever changing Nvidia game drivers. Long shot here but does anyone use AMD pro drivers and are they nice and stable? 

I'm using AMD FirePro version 16.50.2001 and it's quite stable (w/ W8000; hgpuinfo reports 21.19.234 so who knows what the actual version is). There is a bug in a later version of the drivers which AMD has on their radar which breaks vertex selection in the UV viewport (May and June drivers of this year). Not sure if this would also be in the driver for the Vega-based Radeon Boggle-edition, but there is a good chance it may be, as that would require a very current driver.  I think that's the only known issue though.

Mac is in its own little world, you get whatever driver that particular OS version gives you. While some vendors like Nvidia allow you to download the back-end driver part, the OpenGL interface remains the same regardless of vendor or driver. So yes, there's no consumer or pro driver variants, and Apple in general seems to use consumer grade parts (though sometimes semi-custom). I guess there's no reason to offer pro parts when the GL interface doesn't allow access to pro features like quad-buffer stereo, genlock, etc. Not sure if 10b framebuffer support is the exception, as you'd think Apple would want to push their displays if they support 10b RGB color. I had a hard time even finding the bit depths of the Apple monitors listed, which might suggest that they are currently 8b.

yep - that iMac Pro is meant to have 10bit dithered support. :lol:

anyways I'm still looking for a stable MacOS graphics card. The Nvidia 1080 ti is just as bad as the 980 for crashes. My latest theory is that it suffers from that same issue that affected AMD cards before - any mesh with a colour attribute would crash. Turning off Geometry Color *appears* to be more stable but I'm not holding my breath that that's it!

On 2017-06-30 at 9:57 AM, sanostol said:

what about the opencl performance compared to a titanx(pascal), 16 gig ram are tempting

AMD cards should perform better with sims. all nvidia cards are limited to 2GB, they just support opencl1.2.

50 minutes ago, schwungsau said:

all nvidia cards are limited to 2GB

1080Ti on MacOS can access all the memory -> 'Global Memory             11264 MB'

It depends on the addressing mode of OpenCL - Nvidia took a really long time to add 64b. If "Device Address Bits" is 32, it can only access 2GB. It needs to be 64 in order to access the full memory on the card. This was fixed a couple of years ago in the Nvidia proprietary drivers, though I'm not sure what their state in MacOS is .

the new opencl drivers on nvidia cards can access all or at least much more memory, but  its hard to track as the ram usage changes really fast, and changes from simulation to simulation, for example when You use more grids.

2 hours ago, schwungsau said:

yes but the question is if openCL kernels can access all memory...

I'd be most grateful if you can show this limit because all of us have been using 64bit drivers from quite a while now.

@malexander it's 64bit on Apple.

Edited by tar

• 6 months later...

Working with FirePro w9100 for half a year, very easy to crush it with heavy sim, mostly pyro. Was tracking memory statistic, 32gb spends so fast(( usually everything ended with white screen.
Trying to avoid to use it with heavy sim, so disappointment.