Houdini Ocean Toolkit - Release 0.5

eloop

Hi all,

I've made a new release of the HOT. The main new feature is the availability of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the jacobian matrix which you can use to drive foam and spray algorithms. The ocean_eval() vex function has been heavily refactored to expose the new quantities, see the example displacement shader on the wiki page. Hopefully the API shouldn't need to be changed much after this release. Binaries and source are available from HOT wiki page .

-Drew

post-308-1125994538_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I've made a new release of the HOT. The main new feature is the availability of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the jacobian matrix which you can use to drive foam and spray algorithms. The ocean_eval() vex function has been heavily refactored to expose the new quantities, see the example displacement shader on the wiki page. Hopefully the API shouldn't need to be changed much after this release. Binaries and source are available from HOT wiki page .

-Drew

21089[/snapback]

Great Eloop, thanks!

Hi i carnt get this thing to load, and it looks so sweet too. arhg!

It looks ace eloop well done. I am having problems even with the instructions provided. i am using xp but houdini starts up with a error message, any ideas or perhaps a instaling for dummies version of the instructions. thanks

Unfortunately it seems that SOPs are very version dependant. So your best bet is to download and install one of the distributions I have compiled it for. Apparently the VEX is far more likely to work across versions so you could use that, requires writing vex code for your shaders though. If you tell me what version you're using I may be able to build a new binary for you, as I've put together a small script to automate the process. Also it would help if you can tell me the error message.

BTW Does anyone know how to go about defining a VOP to wrap a vex function ? I've used use the inline code vop but it changes it's input paramater names according to what's been connected to it requiring you to go inside and edit the code each time you connect new vops, which would be inconvenient for non coding users.

-Drew

Hi i carnt get this thing to load, and it looks so sweet too. arhg!

It looks ace eloop well done. I am having problems even with the instructions provided. i am using xp but houdini starts up with a error message, any ideas or perhaps a instaling for dummies version of the instructions. thanks

21104[/snapback]

...eigenvectors of the jacobian matrix...

if the ocean toolkit doesnt work out you could always become a script writer for star trek.. neutrino pulse through the forward deflector array, jacobian matrix eigenvectors!

sorry.. I'm demonstrating my ignorance aren't I :P

Yeah, it does get a bit mathematical. But the "take home message" (don't you hate that corporate speak ?) is that wherever the jminus value goes negative the wave crests are folding back on themselves. At these points the eminus vector will be pointing in the direction that that bit of crest is travelling (on the xz plane). So you can concoct schemes for foam textures and particle generation for spray with these quantities.

-Drew

if the ocean toolkit doesnt work out you could always become a script writer for star trek.. neutrino pulse through the forward deflector array, jacobian matrix eigenvectors!

sorry.. I'm demonstrating my ignorance aren't I :P

21110[/snapback]

Oops. A minor bug crept into this release. I'll make a new release next week but in the interim anyone playing with the mineigval stuff and able to recompile should replace include/Ocean.h with the attached file and rebuild. Sorry.

-Drew

Yeah, it does get a bit mathematical. But the "take home message" (don't you hate that corporate speak ?) is that wherever the jminus value goes negative the wave crests are folding back on themselves. At these points the eminus vector will be pointing in the direction that that bit of crest is travelling (on the xz plane). So you can concoct schemes for foam textures and particle generation for spray with these quantities.

-Drew

21111[/snapback]

Ocean_h.zip