Time-based paramater in /mat?

How can I have a parameter based on time in /mat? Right now I'm trying to read in a point cloud like this: "/my/disk/pointcloud.$F.bgeo", but it doesn't work unless I change $F to a static framenumber. In VOPs/SHOPs you have to promote the parameter to toplevel if you want to have it time-based, but you can't do that in /mat..

Does anyone know what you are "supposed" to do? I really don't understand it.

31 minutes ago, merlino said:

Hi David,

I'm not sure if it will works ... but have you already tried with "/my/disk/pointcloud.`$F`.bgeo" ?

No it doesn't I'm afraid. The thing is that you can't have time-based parameters in VOPs, but the whole /mat context is VOPs so I have no idea how you're supposed to do it.

If you take a look at the shelf setup for the ocean tools, you'll see that it creates an oceansurface material. In the displacement tab it reads the spectrum masks, which are frame dependent. There the files are referenced by channel directly from the cache node, so I suppose that's what SESI recommend you do 

2 hours ago, vtrvtr said:

If you take a look at the shelf setup for the ocean tools, you'll see that it creates an oceansurface material. In the displacement tab it reads the spectrum masks, which are frame dependent. There the files are referenced by channel directly from the cache node, so I suppose that's what SESI recommend you do 

Yes, but those parameters are already toplevel ones on a Material Builder node. Isn't the whole point of /mat to build shaders directly with VOPs in the context? I might have answered my own question, encase your VOPs in a material builder; but that sounds counter-intuitive to what I thought /mat was supposed to be.