Viewport can't show the displayed node on Alembic file

Sedatyf

Hi everyone, 

I'm a bit confused right now because I have a weird issue on my Houdini when I work on Alembic. I have some huge (not that huge, but still) models in Alembic format and I want to do VFX stuff on it. But I can't have a proper feedback on my viewport when I do some operations on it. As you can see on the gif capture, the color does not appear in the viewport, but if I save the scene, and open it again, the color appears. I checked my graphic cards driver (I have a GTX 970), and everything's on date, and I'm on Houdini 16.0.621. Is there a solution ? 

Thanks in advance, 
Gael.

EDIT : Even if I launch Houdini as Administrator, the bug still appears. I need help :<

AlembicBug.gif

Screenshot_23.png

Edited by Sedatyf

3 hours ago, Sedatyf said:

I'm on Houdini 16.0.621

Can you update? That version is epically old and might be fixed in a later version like 16.0.822 or 16.5.325. If there bug remains then send it into SideFx via their website.

Hey guys ! 

@marty I may try to update, but I try to keep the same version as I have at my work. But I'll see if there is changes on that. 

@Noobini If I Unpack Alembic, everything works fine, but I don't understand why is the color is applied on my alembic when I reload the scene, and not directly when I lay down the node. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all, 

I encountered the same issue. The problem seems to come from the fact that, whenever you load a packed primitive into Houdini, it caches the geometry data including the color. (See Cache Manager > Packed Geometry)

The workaround, as far as I know, is to: save your scene > open a new empty file > clear the Packed Geometry cache in the Cache Manager > reopen your scene

Hope this helps