Staying motivated

art3mis

In addition to what Matthew said. Don't burn yourself out. You can't go 24/7/365. A healthy break is a good thing. Life has rhythm and flow so don't force it. It might be worth it to completely switch focus for a bit. I often work on multiple things at the same time so that when my brain starts to wanders I can switch gears easily. It also helps in that way to solve the problem from multiple angles. Or if it's really tedious, put on some music and zone out.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Thanks.

I find that there is always a ton of inertia at the beginning of any project, personal or otherwise.

But once I get the ball rolling easily get obsessed ignoring food, sleep, and sometimes even the gf:)

It's the inertia phase I'm trying to skip...

Yeah I get that, totally normal. I don’t know that there is a way to remove that inertia completely. The motivation is coming from time invested in a project, so until you have invested some time. The only thing I can think of is to eliminate distractions in those early stages of a project. 

• 2 months later...

Remind yourself what you're going to get to have at the end.  Will it be a fireball, a water course, a shatter?  

Remind yourself that every task increases your understanding of some vital part of your art form, whether it's understanding the software, understanding the geometry being handled by any software, or growing your grasp of colour theory, composition or animation. Just like gym time, only you're working on your frontal lobes. 

You're spending time investing in yourself, making yourself a better artist.  It's *you* time.  Cherish it.

And above all, remember to have fun.  Whether it's the thrill of figuring out how to express your wishes as a function, or just the sheer messy spectacle of a massive, intricate explosion - enjoy it.   

And, you know.  If your project isn't working, if it's fighting you, if understanding is hiding around the corner making rude noises... you can set light to everything on screen and watch it burn.

So that's good, too. :)

HTH 

• Like 1