.rat Format

stu

Hey all,

Has anyone come across any other software packages that can interpret houdini's native .rat format? It would be nice to be able to manipulate them in other 2D packages without having to convert them from .tifs all the time.

stu

Hey all,

Has anyone come across any other software packages that can interpret houdini's native .rat format? It would be nice to be able to manipulate them in other 2D packages without having to convert them from .tifs all the time.

stu

22190[/snapback]

i completely agree with you - at the moment i just work with tiffs, then when i think the scene is textured well enough to not have changes in photoshop i batch convert them.

Would be cool to be just using .rat, but i dont think anything else takes it..... :unsure: ..would be great to know if it did

PS - every time i look at that lego man of yours i smile - he rocks!

J

We work the other way, our sources are always .tif's and then we batch-convert to .rat before use. I doubt you'll find .rat support anywhere since you need a Houdini license to invoke apps linked against the HDK and there is no public-domain code for reading .rats.

We work the other way, our sources are always .tif's and then we batch-convert to .rat before use. I doubt you'll find .rat support anywhere since you need a Houdini license to invoke apps linked against the HDK and there is no public-domain code for reading .rats.

22195[/snapback]

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Hmm ... but if the Shell ROP had some ability to do out-of-date dependencies, then that would make it possible to make sure all outdated rat's are updated at render time. As it stands right now, you can use the Shell ROP to always convert your .tiff's to .rat's at the expense of some extra work on every render.