More Primitives Than Points

Jim Su

Hey fellas!

I have a model and it's got more primitives than it has points. This concerns me... I've tried poking at it, seperate it into parts but still can't figure it out. Is there any SOP you can suggest that can reveal any extra primitives hiding in there?

Thanks

Jim

Another possibility occurred to me. There's likely others. You might have the situation where multiple primitives are sharing exactly the same points. Say you have a 4 triangles that share exactly the same points (ie. overlapped), then you have more primitives than points.

Another possibility occurred to me. There's likely others. You might have the situation where multiple primitives are sharing exactly the same points. Say you have a 4 triangles that share exactly the points (ie. overlapped), then you have more primitives than points.

23582[/snapback]

Ah true! You could turn on primitive numbers and see if there are many numbers on top of each other.

yea, i saw this last night and was like, oh he's probably got coplanar prims with shared points.. but as i go to write back, i'm like wait, how do you get rid of coplanar prims without manually going in to wireframe view and turning on prim numbers to blast away multiples.. and i seriously couldn't think of a way.. so i went and searched.. wow.. nothing.. and the threads regarding coplanar removal had no responses whatsoever..

so i'm bringing it up again now.. any tricks of the trade out there for this? it's kind of driving me nuts now.. :angry:

Thanks for all the help. I realized that this was "much to do about nothing." I turned on the prim numbers and nothing appears to be wrong. It is possible to have a valid geometry with more primitives than points:

Throw down a sphere SOP, primitive type Polygon. There's 42 points and 80 Primitives.

I think I was working way too late and wasn't thinking properly. Sorry for sounding the alarm too soon!

However, Deecue's concern is valid. Not too long ago, err..."this guy I know" instead of mirroring a half side of a face, mirrored the whole bloody thing. Keep Original was active and so was Consolidate Seam. VERY BAD!!!! Now imagine "this guy" locked that SOP and blew away the procedural chain.......

Luckily, non of us are that foolish to do such a thing.... :unsure:

oh yea.. you're right jim. of course.. triangulated geometry will have more prims than points.. throw a divide sop down after a box for example..

still want my 'remove coplanar prims' in a facet sop or something.. grrr.. or atleast some kind of method that's not manual..

I can think of only 2 ways to do this, neither very elegant, one with sops  and one with the hdk  ;)

If you are desperate to have a solution I have the code kicking around.

Heres the sop way

example1000.zip

It will remove the dup and its partner then fills the holes, obvious this won't work in all cases, but it gets you close..

23628[/snapback]

That's really cool! Your solution preserves the point order as well as primitive order.

Thanks

Jim