"King Kong"

"War of the Worlds"

Animated feature:

"Howl's Moving Castle"

"Corpse Bride"

"Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Wererabbit"

list here

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...OSCARS/60131002

I saw all three Animated Feature Nominees, and although I loved Howl's and thought Corpse Bride looked fantastic, I think Wallace and Grommit deffinitely deserves to win hands down. It's a perfect movie in almost every way, and it has some gags in it that are really clever. I love that scene where the bunny is being sucked out of the rabbit hole (after being shot at). They have him flying towards daylight through the rabbit hole and he sort of relaxes and leans back like he thinks he's died and on is on his way to heaven. It kills me every time.

For VFX, not having seen LWW, War of the Worlds I think is head and shoulders above Kong. It was pretty seamless and some of those effects; I just have no clue how they pulled them off. Those people turning to dust while their clothes flap in the breeze and live actors run through the debris and dust...

I went to the "bakeoff" this year where the final seven nominees for the Visual Effects award are shown to the Academy voters so that they can select the final three. Each nominee can show a 15 minute reel of shots from the completed film (i.e. no shot breakdowns). The presenter can introduce the reel for 5 minutes and there are 3 minutes for questions afterwards. I share Mcronin's sentiments about Kong but it was by far the best presentation on the night. The presenter described the work that was done on the film very well and they were very selective about what they put in the reel. Basically they went with Kong himself and didn't dwell on the really dodgy compositing (dinosaur stampede and some of the boat shots comes to mind). Harry Potter on the other hand had a presenter who sounded bored and they didn't seem to be very selective about what they put in the reel.

The single stand-out effect for me this year was the highway scene in War of the Worlds where the camera circles and passes in and out of the car. There are many other great effects in that film. It is amazing what they achieved in the very tight production schedules. Just a shame about that ending!!

Still think Kong will win it though.

WotW should get it....

just causing trouble over here :)

24306[/snapback]

you trouble maker you..... :P

I was surprised Star Wars wasnt nominated, I went to see a guy from ILM in the summer and he was showing us how they did the effect for both War of the Worlds and Star Wars. I was soo surprised when he said there are only 182 shots that invovled 3d. Even though there wasnt as much as your Return of the King 1400 shots, they made it count.

Havent seen Kong or Narnia, but im sure they are worthy of the award. War of the Worlds more so, they done all tose shots in the space of 3 months.... crazy.