Houdini On Low-cost Graphic Card

kumpa

yep what he said.

Mine is geforce ti 6400 and i am on fedora core4.I had some issues with some heavy scene on 3d viewport but turning off the specular/texture setting in display option slove the problem.

24760[/snapback]

Hi !

The problem i encountered is that interface (apart from viewport) doesnt refresh. On radeon 9250 it is impossible to work, while on 6800ultra only wires connecting nodes are missing while you are making them.

kumpa

• 1 month later...

I had a lot of issues with a mobility radeon 9600 ( crashes and refresh problems ) and Houdini Apprentice.

I tried every ATI driver and others modded drivers like OMEGA, but I started to have issues with Maya also.

I did a softmod to use Fire GL drivers, and now it works ok, with no problems so far, and it seems faster and more reliable than before.

here is the link. I think that should work with your card.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php...00&page=1&pp=15

there is a link for linux also... not a real softmod, but worked ok with Houdini on ubuntu linux and ati radeon.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7...highlight=fglrx

hope it helps

chrisedu

• 5 months later...

Yes modding to a firegl would do the job. But I don't think the 9250 s have a fireGL equevalent. The entry level firegl as far as I know is T2, and it is the equavalent of 9600. However even if there is no firegl equavalent of your card you can still mod it to use the pro features of firegl. For the latest fireGL drivers use this script.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=196491

(the scond script if your card doesn't have a firegl counterpart)

You just need rivatuner. After downloading the latest firegl drivers and installed rivatuner, copy the above script to a text file. Save it with *.rts extension. Double click it select the *.sys file it is asking for from the directory where you have previously extracted the firegl driver files. Patch it. Then go to device manager update the display drivers choose the inf file from the very same directory. Choose a firegl card from the list (close to your card. T2 may be) install it. After restart install the control panel from that directory. Then choose Houdini from the application profile list of firegl control panel.

Best regards