With the added viewport commands in Houdini for modelling, does it now compare favorably to modelling in C4D?

Snappy_Darko

I switched from C4D about 5 months ago.  there are still some modeling tools (knife tool for one) which C4D kicks Houdini butt and I wish Houdini had the poly pen tool. for me, it seems to take a bit more planning to model something in Houdini while with C4D you could almost wing it. and then there is MoGraph . . . need I as more. I do believe Houdini has seen the light is starting to make inroads into modeling instead of resting on their laurels of VFX 

Edited by bobc4d
  • Like 1

I haven't ever used c4d, however in last 2 releases or so, houdini made a big leap forward in modeling workflows. it is true that there are still some functionality missing but its mostly convenience stuff, everything essential is there. Personally I love it for how flexible it is and how it never gets overwhelming with very complex models. very complex means just lot of simple things, not one massive hard to manage asset. That also makes changes to the model relatively painless and much less time consuming than in other packages (if you laid off your stuff well). It requires more technical approach thou so it depends what you're looking for. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 5:34 AM, davpe said:

I haven't ever used c4d, however in last 2 releases or so, houdini made a big leap forward in modeling workflows. it is true that there are still some functionality missing but its mostly convenience stuff, everything essential is there. Personally I love it for how flexible it is and how it never gets overwhelming with very complex models. very complex means just lot of simple things, not one massive hard to manage asset. That also makes changes to the model relatively painless and much less time consuming than in other packages (if you laid off your stuff well). It requires more technical approach thou so it depends what you're looking for. 

the ability to "easily" make changes to a model is one of the things I like about Houdini, where in C4D, unless you make endless saves at certain points or you undo as far back but then you lose what you've done. yes as I mention in my post, it does take a more technical approach (planning out your model) than with C4D

On 5/2/2018 at 4:02 AM, Snappy_Darko said:

Great to hear about this.  Have you see these tools? - https://gumroad.com/l/GVLLS Would be great if Houdini could integrate them into the next iteration of the progamme

yes I saw those and some look pretty good.  I guess I am too old school modeling and I see some nasty mesh and don't care for booles 

• Like 1