Creating Uvs for viscous flip sim

Flamingburrit008

Hello. I'm working on creating a soft-serve ice cream effect and i've seem to run into a bit of a wall in my progress.  I can't seem to find a good method for creating uvs for flip fluid as it comes out of my emitter. Here is a video of the type of effect that I am trying to create 

I've been searching and experimenting for a while, but I cant seem to find a good way to approach this. Does anyone have any suggestions or point me in a good direction? thank you.

Thank you very much for the reply and link! I've actually been looking at that video a lot, but I still can't seem to get anything working. For some reason, the rest attribute doesn't seem to be doing anything when I try mapping it to the uvs. I even took a look at the scene files from that video, and the vop that he creates with the dual rest solver doesn't appear to do anything. The uv quick-shade shows the same result regardless of whether or not the attribute vop is connected. 

I've been searching on line for a long time, and people tend to point to using the rest attributes in some way. But for the life of me I cant seem to understand the correct way to use them. I feel like I'm missing something vital.

Hey @Flamingburrit008, I'm having the same problem as you do ! Sorry, haven't figured it out either.

I provided an example scene below where we can see the issue.

This picture below is the result I have from the video - the same result as a planar uv projection.

If somebody could have some pointers as to how to use the rest position for UVs, I'd be grateful ! Thanks !

image.thumb.png.eadcd52751006100b0917074fd03070b.png

flip_uvs.hipnc

Basically promote your UVs from Vertex to Point before you simulate then afterwards, fetch them back from points and re-promote them to vertex.

Key take aways....

you need to add those attributes (Cd, uv, shop_materialpath) to the transfer list of the fluidcompress and the particlefluidsurface nodes

Edited by Atom

I managed to create some uvs based on the position of the emitter. Unfortunately they still tend to jitter around a bit and the distort when the fluid collides with itself. 

icecream_uv.mp4

The rest position has given me ok results for noise and texture, but I cant figure out how to blend between the rest and rest2 attributes. How would I go about using the dual rest solver vop? I've been messing around with it and I can't seem to make it do anything. No mater what it just seems to output 0 for both Prest and Prest2.

I want to create icecream that has colored stripes coming down the side and was planning on doing this with a shader.

somthing like this 

0.jpg.209256e3fda39a06c0c7b96751002624.jpg

Although now I'm starting to question if I'm really going about it the best way

Edited by Flamingburrit008

• 1 month later...