Determining required number of voxels

art3mis

General question about voxels.

Lets say you have a piece of test geometry, maybe the pigs head, then an IsoOffset SOP with Uniform Sampling Divs set to 200. That would give you a little over 6.3 million voxels. Now you want to use that as a source in a Smoke sim, so inside a DopNet you throw down a Smoke Solver and set the Smoke Object source to the IsoOffset.

How do you know how many voxels (Division Size) to set on your Smoke Object?

Would you try and match the number of your source voxels, or is it more a visual thing, checking the Scene view to see what looks 'right'?

I typically install an expression into the SmokeObject or the FluidObject which estimates the voxels based upon the box area and the divsize. You can see how to set this up around 23 minutes in this video. The expressions I use are also available in the video description.

When I am developing a sim I typically run about 1-4 million voxels for fluid or pyro. When I am happy with the setup I'll kick that up to anywhere from 20-80 million voxels and write that out to a file cache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2018-09-08 at 7:57 PM, Atom said:

I typically install an expression into the SmokeObject or the FluidObject which estimates the voxels based upon the box area and the divsize. You can see how to set this up around 23 minutes in this video. The expressions I use are also available in the video description.

When I am developing a sim I typically run about 1-4 million voxels for fluid or pyro. When I am happy with the setup I'll kick that up to anywhere from 20-80 million voxels and write that out to a file cache.

Hey, thanks Atom