Houdini on QNX?

MG

Is it possible to run Houdini in QNX? If not, does SESI have any plans for porting it to it?

Because QNX is pretty damn awesome, from what I seen of it. I mean, if SESI did so, they'd have yet another debute on their list ;)

It's a relatively new operating system, derived from AmigaOS (mostly).

But really, especially since it's a so-called "real-time operating system", it wouldn't be bad to see (good) 3D software appear for it.

wasn't beos a great, if not the best, multimedia and therefor 3d platform. but nobody ported a 3d app to this. (though i did hear a port of mirai was on the cards until beos died).

so why would sesi or anybody else port to QNX?

is anybody on solaris?

....but this does get me 'dreaming', houdini on beos..............

wasn't beos a great, if not the best, multimedia and therefor 3d platform. but nobody ported a 3d app to this. (though i did hear a port of mirai was on the cards until beos died).

so why would sesi or anybody else port to QNX?

is anybody on solaris?

....but this does get me 'dreaming', houdini on beos..............

Hey! There are 3D tools for BeOS; Cinema 4D XL, Blender and some others. I remember NewTek had plans for releasing LightWave for BeOS aswell.

But at a certain point, it went wrong. My guess is that lots of BeOS' potential "customers" ran away because of the rather poor hardware compatibility...

But hey, seriously though, QNX started out really nice. It's considered quite a powerful platform and installing is even easier than it was with BeOS.

A major 3D software package I can name, although not film & post-production, is RenderWare. Which is available for QNX. Along with cool GNU software; including GIMP, X window managers etc.

What about pixel32? Thanks to pixel32, which has already been port to QNX (and which looks darned nice!), it might mean "good old Amiga times." Some said, in response, that pixel32 is looking a lot better than Photoshop! I can't confirm that, but I have to say it looked damn snappy!

(I will post a screen of pixel32 as soon as I can.)

From what I can tell, QNX's focus doesn't seem to be in the digital content creation market. They seem to be concentrating on the embedded market for handheld devices, cars, appliances, etc.

Wow, even better! Imagine having Houdini on your handheld/PDA. In other words; I guess it was pretty useless of me to ask. (Right?)

...since it's a so-called "real-time operating system"...

oh man, that's so much cooler than a 'turn-based operating system', or even the 'Live, but with a 7 second delay operating system'. But I am looking forward to the 'precognition operating system'

:P .zig

Thanks for mocking me.

@Calosus

>It's a relatively new operating system, derived from AmigaOS (mostly).

This is not true - QNX have nothing to do with Amiga - Amiga Inc. had the

plan to develop the Amiga OS 4 based on QNX - this was back in 1997. In 1998 they had a jump over to Linux.

QNX is very old in the embedded country...

In 2000 they got a new cooperation - with TAO (intend) - the Amiga DE-plattform is based on this framwork. There are players for DE-content on Windows and Linux. They have this also for WindowsCE and Windows for SmartPhones...

ATM they port the 68k-AmigaOS-sources to PPC-plattform. The release of AmigaOS 4 will be in the next few weeks - there are also new PowerPC-based systems in the pipeline. It works atm with LinuxPPC only.

I had QNX RTOS (this the free version of the DesktopOS) on a PC. It is really

nice, but in some ways unstable. We had a few crashes - we have use it for desktop and as a server (Apache, Samba).

LEO

@Calosus

>It's a relatively new operating system, derived from AmigaOS (mostly).

This is not true - QNX have nothing to do with Amiga - Amiga Inc. had the

plan to develop the Amiga OS 4 based on QNX - this was back in 1997. In 1998 they had a jump over to Linux.

QNX is very old in the embedded country...

In 2000 they got a new cooperation - with TAO (intend) - the Amiga DE-plattform is based on this framwork. There are players for DE-content on Windows and Linux. They have this also for WindowsCE and Windows for SmartPhones...

ATM they port the 68k-AmigaOS-sources to PPC-plattform. The release of AmigaOS 4 will be in the next few weeks - there are also new PowerPC-based systems in the pipeline. It works atm with LinuxPPC only.

I had QNX RTOS (this the free version of the DesktopOS) on a PC. It is really

nice, but in some ways unstable. We had a few crashes - we have use it for desktop and as a server (Apache, Samba).

LEO

Yeah well, I suck.

I guess I have mixed up things that I read on a few Amiga sites and QNX....