Vellum's 'cloth target strength' equivalent ?

SciMunk

Hi all!

I was playing with the vellum solver and it just awesome ! there a feature I just couldn't find, maybe it just not present,  I was wondering if it possible to recreate it : the cloth target deformation, which force the simulated shape to try to match the specified geo shape, I tried to use a pop attract in the dop, without much success

any idea ?

thanks !

if you set Pin to Target constraint to Soft, then you can control the strength by Stretch Stiffness (for soft position type) and Bend Stiffness (for soft orientation type)

it's also present within cloth/hair constraints where it's called Pin To Animation 

if you however want just shape changes and not necessarily constraint your geo to a specific locations you should use Vellum Rest Blend SOP or DOP which allows you to update rest state of the constraints and therefore force your vellum object to try to assume that shape

it's for blending rest attributes of the constraint geometry using the geometry of the third input (or provided SOP if using DOP version)

literally serves the same purpose as FEM's or Wire's Rest Geometry

so to morph pighead to squab it would require both to have the same topology and you 'd need to have some constraints (like cloth) on the pighead already, then plug first 2 outputs of the vellum constraint to vellum rest blend and squab to the third, then you can tweak how much the constraint rest attributes will try to match the squab shape (again, has to have the same topology)

to blend over time you may want to use DOP version

sorry, cant post file, don't have access to H17 at the moment

Edited by anim

Thanks for the answer anim, I tried to use the pin to animation, but it very hard to control the strength using the stiffness, it either start to fly away after getting a collision, or the deformation do not affect the neighbour point. the effect I want to reproduce is this : http://share.scimunk.com/2018-10-08_15-22-49.mp4 which I made using the default cloth solver.

on this effect, the upper border are fully constrained using a targetStrength of 100000, and gradually decrease at the center to permit movement.

Edited by SciMunk

• 3 months later...