Snap transform handle to component

Hello!

I can't figure out how to use a point/edge/primitive on an object as the center of transformation for the transform handle...

Moving the handle manually with the ' (apostrope) is not practical or convenient.

Is there a way to make the handle snap to a specific object component & use it as the transformation center?

Something like XSI's "Ref" menu where you can pick an object/point/edge/prim as the transformation center and the transform gizmo/handle moves and aligns itself with your selected component.

Just wanted to clarify: I'm looking at the "Snapping, construction plane, and alignment" section in the help and I cant figure out how to move/orient JUST the handle, without affecting the selected geometry I want to transform.

I also tried the ;  key for editing the align state... and again this moves my selected faces and the handle both at once... which is not what I want.

It seems like no matter what I try, it moves/rotates my selection along with the handle instead of just the handle & let me manually transform with the handle's new position!

Any help would be appreciated... :|

Insert ?

hit Insert, move the gnomon/gizmo around, hit Insert again, now you'll be back to moving object/subobject.

(I've never used '....if that's the same as Insert...well then just ignore me)

or is it this:

01) Insert, in gizmo only mode

02) ; then hover over some point/edge/face, click to select

03) Insert, to get out of gizmo only mode

04) Rotate, say, the pivot would be about the point/edge/face selected in step 02)

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 2

OMG yea it works! I was going nuts with the myriad of modes and controls lol.

SESI should really mention something about the insert key in the Snapping, Construction Plane & Alignment section of the help... or anywhere else relevant for that matter.

I can't find any info about the insert key or the gizmo only mode...

But regardless, thank you so much Noobini :D Saved me a headache

9 minutes ago, BlackPariah said:

I can't find any info about the insert key or the gizmo only mode...

neither could I...but one frustrating day I said to myself...well the same functionality in Max/Maya the Insert key...so screw it, I'm gonna try the Insert key.................welllllll waddayaknow !!!!

' and insert are different

for some handles both will appear to do the same thing, however if the handle has pivot parameters actually bound, insert will modify them

so if you just want to detach/attach handle to the geometry you may want to stick to the '

the workflow is the same ' ; snap ' transform

Edited by anim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can also chose different alignment modes from the right click "Align Handle" menu once I'm happy with the new position of the handle right?

So basically I first chose the desired position for the gizmo then use the Align Handle menu to chose the orientation & then finally do the transformation... does this seem like a good way to go about it? 

Edit: The " ' ; snap ' transform " flow is pretty decent! Thank you Tomas

Edited by BlackPariah

• 7 months later...

Just chiming in that this is really great and quick... I haven't used any handle alignment slash C-Plane stuff yet so this so-called ' ; ' work flow is my gateway drug!

And yeah, definitely works fine with using the M key to cycle through worldspace/objectspace/componentspace/screenspace and the Y key for the different handle types.

Edited by xxyxxy