Slow viewport- Graphic card and Monitor

MadMax50

Hello,

I have a small problem regarding a slow viewport in Houdini. When I zoom close to a pyro simulation and try to pan around it, the viewport will be noticeably slow and laggy.

This would make sense if I had a basic graphics card but I am currently running on the NVIDIA Quadro M5000 graphics card with (8gb vram). 

I also have a dual monitor setup: 4K 32 inch and a HD 27 inch .

I know that the 4k monitor would require more power to run but I thought that the quadro m5000 would handle it no problem.

The rest of my machine is a dual xeon setup with 64 gb of ram. So overall it's a very powerful machine that should handle houdini viewport no problem but it doesn't seem to at all. 

and yes I have already updated the graphic card drivers.

Would love to hear any thoughts. Thank you!

Volumes are rendered as many parallel planes blended together, so if the number of pixels in the viewport is large and it's a large volume (or several), you're probably maxing out the GPU's ROPs which do the framebuffer blending and writes. You can try adjusting the volume quality and/or size in the Geometry and Texture tabs of the display options.

• 4 weeks later...