Git Integration with Houdini

amovfx

Hey everyone,

I'm been working with some programs that have some really slick git integration and I think Houdini would really benefit from this as well.

I'm wondering if we could put together a list of requirements that we would like in this.

For example, I would like to right click an HDA and commit it to a GitHub repo, fork it, and have a menu for interacting with git. 

I think saving files to git could be a good possibility too.

The reason I want to do this is that I think it could really be a boon to HDA development and I'm looking for ideas to collect all the requirements.

Thank you,

Andrew

• Like 1

This is great idea. For simplicity custom scripts and commands in a menus, correct? Python git support lib would suffice then. Although more tempting is another approach. Houdini has a notion of file system handlers, which allow you to get file with http:// prefix for example. Git would naturally fit here. Last time I tried to do something similar I hit the wall, but theoretically one should be able to do it. Help link. Not sure if this is what you're after, because: how fun it would be to have git://mySuperHda.hda@d2cd1a7ca20ece9fc47be3b1949982ebfc398cfd :) or maybe rather git://mySuperHda.hda@2 [previous commit]

Hi again!

Definitely interesting as there are no doubt many UIs/Qt apps out there that try to help visualize git repos and perhaps you could take advantage of those. 

One important thing to keep in mind is that HDAs can be used for tools - low to high level operations, and also for "assets" - like rigs or even just static data inside HDA sections. The storage mechanism might be the same, but usually tools are released like code and thus managed by pipeline, and assets versions are managed by artist, often delivered by an asset management system. Perhaps you're considering this solely for tool delivery? 

As mentioned on chat, but this would be interesting to see if you can find a way to accommodate merging changes. All the systems I've used have to employ locks to avoid conflicts, or insist you branch or something. In a multi-user environment, conflicts could be rather frequent.

Also, perhaps you could consider evaluating whether a git flow workflow would be appropriate for HDAs - or if it's just overkill.

• 4 months later...

At of Houdini 17, SideFx allows you to save a hip file as ascii, and an HDA as a folder with files.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/assets/textfiles.html

Which lends itself to version control, such as git.

Unfortunately, this is only available in the commercial version. =(

Houdini indie and apprentice don't support this.

I personally think Indie should support these features.

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 12:25 AM, syntheticperson said:

At of Houdini 17, SideFx allows you to save a hip file as ascii, and an HDA as a folder with files.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/assets/textfiles.html

Which lends itself to version control, such as git.

Unfortunately, this is only available in the commercial version. =(

Houdini indie and apprentice don't support this.

I personally think Indie should support these features.

Hopefully this changes.