Material Fracture Bullet Glass

bretik

Hi,

I try to make a car glass bullet hit... I can't figure how to make the connected pieces which stay attached to glass, I tried "soft constraint" of the "Material fracture node, but I can't figure how to break the soft constraint in some distance, pieces always returning back no matter how far they are.. which looks more like a STAR GATE portal opening :D 

Sklo_TEST_11.hip

OK, I solved the thing... I'm about to render it.. as a glass.

How are You guys doing this? You have some workaround for this? I mean.. "Material Fracture" is fractured all the way from frame 1. so it's on the render as well.

Is there some way to mix the "uncracked" and "cracked" mesh based on some attribute? What will be the best way to handle this?

On a pictur is frame 1, the cracking starts on Frame 5 or so...Sklo_TEST_22.mantra1_0004.thumb.jpg.7673325caf5a6fc589c3e960aaba9776.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Victor... 

But there is going to be like 5 shots hitting the glass... so I need to make some "geometry mask", based on some attribute,

There is something, some attribute "Broken" on the constraints... maybe that's the way. Can't figure it out... :( 

(or I was thinking about converting both do VDB do some " diffrence  mask" and then use this for combining cracked and uncracked mesh ...  ?)

The other issue I have is that as long as it is on BOX object it looks great... Radial cracks are curvy, but no matter what if You make Material Fracture on imported object or a pig head test geometry or any other. The radial cracks are just straight... as well as concentric cracks...

A_2.thumb.jpg.45c2b7aeb12c2e304a161fb407f8ab27.jpgA1.thumb.jpg.faef7b24a4d8c8b0278d283d2ca663c2.jpg

Edited by bretik

1 hour ago, bretik said:

The other issue I have is that as long as it is on BOX object it looks great... Radial cracks are curvy, but no matter what if You make Material Fracture on imported object or a pig head test geometry or any other. The radial cracks are just straight... as well as concentric cracks...

Only flat objects currently supported

1 hour ago, bretik said:

Thanks Victor... 

But there is going to be like 5 shots hitting the glass... so I need to make some "geometry mask", based on some attribute,

There is something, some attribute "Broken" on the constraints... maybe that's the way. Can't figure it out... :( 

(or I was thinking about converting both do VDB do some " diffrence  mask" and then use this for combining cracked and uncracked mesh ...  ?)

Maybe shader solution helps you, i don't know... You're using Arnold for rendering but anyway try to read this post:

Edited by vicvvsh

• 1 year later...

I used the switch after all. But when I understand better Houdini and have more control on forces, I'll try these nodes for sure. I love to work with transparency when there is fracture this seems to be the right way to do. Thank you. Here is my work, only flipbook for now. But it gives an idea. Everything is going too fast, but the object inside is colliding and fracturing the shell with its forces. That was the plan. It really needs lots of tweaking to have it more smooth. I wanted the fractures to happen before the egg goes down by gravity and only a specific places at the top. An after thought is that if I modify a little bit the base to have a slightly flat base, it will take longer to fall by the wind & other forces. Thank you for this blog because I have found a lot of inspiration and solutions. 

NAND427_A20_Parent_Marie-Josee_TP1_RBD_MJ.mov0001-0360.mkv

Edited by mjparent

3 minutes ago, mjparent said:

I used the switch after all. But when I understand better Houdini and have more control on forces, I'll try these nodes for sure. I love to work with transparency when there is fracture this seems to be the right way to do. Thank you. Here is my work, only flipbook for now. But it gives an idea. Everything is going too fast, but the object inside is colliding and fracturing the shell with its forces. That was the plan. It really needs lots of tweaking to have it more smooth. I wanted the fractures to happen before the egg goes down by gravity and only a specific places at the top. An after thought is that if I modify a little bit the base to have a slightly flat base, it will take longer to fall by the wind & other forces. Thank you for this blog because I have found a lot of inspiration and solutions. 

NAND427_A20_Parent_Marie-Josee_TP1_RBD_MJ.mov0001-0360.mkv

dopnet1.0001.jpg

dopnet1.0048.jpg

dopnet1.0096.jpg

dopnet1.0120.jpg

dopnet1.0216.jpg

dopnet1.0336.jpg