Particle Fluid Surface node - Mesh 2 together?

HM_2020

Hey fluid masters, is it possible to combine 2 Particle Fluid Surface nodes?   I am getting better "gloop" and tension in the meshing of 2 different sims using PFS.  VDBs, not so much.  Even using VDB to Particle Fluid Surface is not as good as PFS.

See where it simply Boolean Unions and doesn't Mesh them together like the Particle Fluid Surface node?  

Cheers!

52053783_743016906098146_2149340967952449536_n.png

I have two sims... the main tube, its low res sim, not many particles, so to PFS mesh it, I need certain large pscale, Influence, all the settings in PFS to get a nice shape.

The high drops, separate sim, needs its own PFS settings to get a nice "crown splash drops" style and keep the high res.  

If I merge the 2 flip particles sims, and then use one PFS node, where they meet "gloops" and has tension in the mesh, looks really nice, but alas the Core shape looks messed up like balls since it has different settings.

So I thought I could use one PFS node for each sim (core gets larger pscale, influence, etc, drops get lower everything etc), and then simply do one last merge, and they would gloop together.  But sadly that just merges them without even a Union.... 

Next tried VDBtoParticleSurface Nodes for each sim, then did VDB Combine, which results in the image above... boolean union but again no good gloopy meshing where the drops suck out of the core.  

So basically I need to have 2 separate PFS nodes, and then I guess somehow do one last meshing of those two, where points merge into metalball style gloop.

Ya get me? ;)

Edited by HowardM

Can't you just use 1 particle fluid surface node and use point attributes on the different meshes to get different settings? Also what skybar said. You can just output vdbs from the particle fluid surface node and combine them together. The vdb it outputs would be identical to mesh it would output. 

• Like 1

Silly me, I forgot to use a VDBreshape to "gloop them together", which as you can see in 2nd image is working where the particles meet.  

Now the issue is, how do I make this only happen only where the points/mesh meet, not all the drops away from the core as I lose their detail.

Cheers!

glooped2.jpg

glooped.jpg

Howard, here's how I would do it. Take your 2 VDBs, dilate them, VDB Combine using SDF Intersection, then convert the result to a Fog VDB and plug it into the 2nd input of the final VDB Smooth node. Should mask the regions that you don't want smoothed.

Throwing together a quick'n'dirty example...

--Dave

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 2/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, Dave Stewart said:

Here's a .hip with a sample setup, I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do this but it does work! I'd also recommend building your own meshing setup VDB from particles/particle fluid but since you can output VDB's from the PFS HDA this works too.

--Dave

DStewart_FLIP_Meshing_Blend2Fuilds_01.hiplc

this is awesome, but how would you combine 2 beach tanks sims  for example together, the mesh doesn't look right sadly