Hi everyone,

I've been tasked to lay down a decent workflow pipeline plan for my team revolving around creating motion graphics or key visuals for advertising in houdini and I was hoping to find some help/suggestions for it.

I chose houdini as the core element just to avoid extra plug-ins that from my experience were creating a wast amount of issues in the long run, but I feel I won't be able to do everything I need quick enough using it alone. My first idea was to get license for zbrush, substance and redshift to complement houdini, so basically it would be like this: start by modeling non procedural things in zbrush, texturing them in substance, animating everything in houdini and finally render in redshift.

When I started testing the workflow, I immediately noticed that substance designer plugin is not compatible with latest versions of houdini and my biggest fear came  back, since I was hopping to achieve something at least slightly more seamless. I am now considering making all maps and textures through photoshop and zbrush only, skipping substance altogether and sticking as much as possible to procedural shaders in houdini if I can produce them quick enough.

Anyway, what kind of workflows do you guys have or recommend? Could you give me any tips on how I could make things go smoother and avoid unexpected compatibility issues? How was your experience using Substance painter or designer within the workflow so far?

Cheers!

The plugins for Substance are awful. Just export textures from Substance. You're not missing anything there by not using the plugins. I would use Mantra instead of Redshift but out of all the GPU renderers Redshift is the best option if you must have a GPU renderer. Here be dragons... Maxon purchased Redshift last week. They say they're going to leave it alone and it'll be business as usual (and third party application plugins will continue) but time will tell if they stick with that or not.

https://www.maxon.net/en/news/press-releases/article/maxon-acquires-redshift-rendering-technologies/