Another Exercise: Powerade "shattered" Commercial

MIguel P

I see up on the exchange now there is the Fracture asset - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...er&Itemid=8 - that should make things easier.

Nice work as always, Miguel.

:)

The problem that I've had, and that Craig's asset has, is that if you try to build it procedurally using random rotations, your breaks tend to look like ... randomly broken shards of -something-. I suspect you would need very high iterations to break the pieces small enough that it still looks ok.

The problem is, things break through structural weaknesses, and that type of pattern isn't going to appear when it's done through random rotations. Additionally, if you use a plane, in the way that asset does, you are going to have bizarre normals happening. Switch his polka dots to a checkerboard to see what I mean.

When I attempted something similar to this, I needed two separate assets. One, I used to manually move a vex-mountained sphere around to acquire a cookied "a" and a "b" volume. I broke my volume into 200+ pieces in this manner, designing the fracture from my point of impact so it looked like a natural break.

Then I attempted to take about 20 of these 200 pieces, and used a similar asset to Craig's to turn my 20 pieces into almost 400. The shapes tend to look very different, but the idea is, they're small enough that it's just rubble and not really noticable. But just as a warning... using a plane for your cutting shape, will tend to give some bizarre results.

Not to say it can't be done, but I still haven't found a satisfactory way to do it.

The plane breaking method was simply the easiest way to go about it. By all means, customize it to your heart's content. :) The main exercise in the asset is really to just use the SOP Solver DOP along with the concept of a "stack" so that recursive cutting can occur.

The plane breaking method was simply the easiest way to go about it. By all means, customize it to your heart's content. :) The main exercise in the asset is really to just use the SOP Solver DOP along with the concept of a "stack" so that recursive cutting can occur.

We have an experimental (unfinished) SOP writtten by Josh Krall we call the CookieCookie which cuts an object into two and recursively chops up every resultant group. The nicest thing about this technique is that you can take an oriented bounding box of each piece and cut approximately in the middle of it. This ensures more-or-less evenly sized chunks are created. You can also take the volume of the oriented bbox and bail out at a certain value so you don't chop up tiny fragments further.

In the future I'd hope we'd be able to process each connected chunk in SOPs in some kind of loop instead of reverting to HDK stuff.

The problem with doings things in a loop at the current time is that if the cookie fails, there's little control you can do with the jitter. By using the playbar as the loop counter, there's easy ways to keyframe the Jitter on the Cookie in order to make sure it succeeds along the way.

Hey, yesterday I took part in the Autodesk launch about the max9, maya8, and motion builder 7.5 in Hong Kong. It was fun to be there.

In max9, there is a function called "proBoolean" which seems really handy for cutting things.

Pls see the movie "PowerCutterQuickHelpTut.wmv" at the bottom of the page at http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/228190

It is intuitive to have a stack of grids as a cutting object. I've been studying the fracture asset but it doesn't work as I think. Just wonder if this can be done in Houdini.

C.

• 3 weeks later...