Another Exercise: Powerade "shattered" Commercial

MIguel P

yeah me too I am interested specially on the Shatter side... i did a test with a human head.. and i did my "subnet" for semi-automatic shatter..(a cut for every subnet which with couple of trick can be turned into a HDA.. one day maybe)... but i'm interested on how you did it :)

cheers.. good job again

Yea man looks awesome!.. I still havent found an efficient way to shatter geometry inside houidni. Maya has their excuse for it, which is actually very easy to use. I guess you could bring that geometry back in. But I was wondering if you did the shattered geometry inside houdini, and then brought it into DOPs or if you did an entirely differnt workaround. Cheers! :)

Thanks guys.

Is very easy. I've used cookies to break te geometry (see an example called breaking rock), and I've put each chunk in a group and merge all. After, I put the model in a rbd glue object, very very easy.

The small chunks born like particles, but the movement are dynamics (rbd fractured).

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and new to Houdini, so please bare with me. But I also got a couple of questions concerning this shot, and I hope someone can answer them briefly.

I took a look at the cookie/rock example and so far I understand this. Also the glueing part (well... in theory at least).

But what puzzles me are the following steps.

I would assume that after those steps mentioned above you now rig and skin the character, then animate it. If so - how can you tell Houdini when to "remove" the binding from the bones and calculate the dynamic simulation? Or is your shot done in a completly different way?

And - what did you animate in Maya? The "healthy" model (1 mesh), or the scattered model? And how did you bring back this animation to Houdini?

cheers,

Daniel

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and new to Houdini, so please bare with me. But I also got a couple of questions concerning this shot, and I hope someone can answer them briefly.

I took a look at the cookie/rock example and so far I understand this. Also the glueing part (well... in theory at least).

But what puzzles me are the following steps.

I would assume that after those steps mentioned above you now rig and skin the character, then animate it. If so - how can you tell Houdini when to "remove" the binding from the bones and calculate the dynamic simulation? Or is your shot done in a completly different way?

And - what did you animate in Maya? The "healthy" model (1 mesh), or the scattered model? And how did you bring back this animation to Houdini?

cheers,

Daniel

I animated the model in Maya and exported to Houdini as OBJ sequence. In Houdini, I breaked the animation last frame and imported to DOPs

It would be more fantastic to see it breaking while keep moving. Looking forward to hear more about that.

BTW, how do u do the cookie? I mean do it procedurally, such that I can change the number of fragments instantly. Just wonder if we need to do this with Hscript or else.