Future work advice

Hi there.

I have finished my 2nd year in uni and I'm looking to build a killer FX reel by the time I graduate next year.

I would greatly appreciate advice on what to work on in the next year and criticism on my current showreel.

For the next year at uni, we have to make a short film for which I'll be doing the fx.It is currently centred around a snow leopard in a Mongolian landscape.

I was planning to create a custom material point snow solver and am currently learning c++ and the HDK.

My current showreel is available here: 

Thank you and have a good day

• Like 2

Excellent!

You could probably get work as a junior FX artist and or junior TD right now with that reel if what you have is what the studio is looking for. I hate to say, but it's a bit of a crap shoot.

If you want to cover all your bases get as many varied effects on your reel as possible. Just make sure they're all done well. Better to have fewer high quality than many low.

So, you might want some building destruction, feathers/hair, crowd sims, art directed fire, magical woo-woo sparkle magic, gold chains, smokey ghosts, etc... Let your imagination run wild into any and all of the fx sub disciplines you might be interested in.

You're off to a good start, and as previously mentioned, getting a good variation of well-done FX focusing on quality over quantity is a solid approach. 

If you have classmates that are talented in the other areas such as modeling, animation and compositing, I would definitely recommend teaming up with some of them to pool your individual talents and put together some showreel shots as a group (which will also help show you work well in a shot team which is a critical skill to have in this industry)

19 hours ago, kleer001 said:

12 hours ago, ryew said:

Thank you both for the advise, very helpful

I'll definitely prioritise quality over quantity and try to get some more commonly used techniques in there. (Smoke, particles, that sort of thing)

The people I'm working with seem pretty on top of things so thats good.

Kind Regards George