Animation workflow

I'm trying to understand the best workflow for animation and I would like to hear your take on how you animate stuff.

What I'm trying to turn my head around is if should animate inside SOP (transform) or outside SOP. Also, what are the cons and pros of doing so?

Animation of what and for what? All workflows can be pretty subjective, but your mileage may vary.

If you're animating a character Houdini is geared towards doing all that in the Object context, not in the geometry context. Check out rigging tutorials.

If you're creating procedurally animated geometry involving lots of SOPs that's better to do in a single (or several sensibly organized) Object.

1 hour ago, kleer001 said:

Check out rigging tutorials.

Hi, Clear, can you, please, advise any particular if I am interested in creating simple character rigs of humans, probably with the autorigging system?  

1 hour ago, kleer001 said:

Animation of what and for what? All workflows can be pretty subjective, but your mileage may vary.

If you're animating a character Houdini is geared towards doing all that in the Object context, not in the geometry context. Check out rigging tutorials.

If you're creating procedurally animated geometry involving lots of SOPs that's better to do in a single (or several sensibly organized) Object.

Ok, I understand. Need to just try to understand when to animate in which context. I guess its just a matter of creating the project and keep track of the best way to organize your structures from the beginning. Sometimes I feel like it can be a bit messy with the structures, node levels.

2 hours ago, kiryha said:

Hi, Clear, can you, please, advise any particular if I am interested in creating simple character rigs of humans, probably with the autorigging system?  

Other than the ones on the SideFX website I have no idea. Or you could look at the built in rigs too. In the object context theres 3, Simple Biped, Simple Fe/male, Toon Character. They'll all be slightly different, as will the rig you create from the Rigging Series (6).

• Like 1