Vaultboy

need advice on removing black refraction's in water dropplets over glass surface

Hey Guys!

I'm fairly new to Houdini so i apologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm trying to render water droplets over a glass surface and i was hoping someone can advise on how i go about removing these black refraction's coming through the water droplets. I'm using a principal glass shader with fake caustics enabled, rendering through Mantra PBR.

Many Thanks, any help would be much appreciated :)

test.jpg

demo.hip

You are rendering in a black environment. You have this backdrop, but nothing else to reflect, but black. Put some HDRI or a Sphere around.

Thanks Drughi. I've tried adding an hdri as well as Sphere but that doesn't seem to have affect on the black refraction's inside the water droplets

set your raytracing bias on the mantra ROP to a smaller value

Already replied on the sidefx forums but just in case anyone here is curious, the answer is to reverse the nested dielectric "surface priority" parameter on the materials... he has his priority settings backwards. lower number = higher priority, so set the droplet priority to 0 and the bottle priority to 1 and the refractions are clear.

• Like 3

yeah that seems to have done the trick. i assumed the bottle would take priority to eliminate any refraction's inside but i see what you mean. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.