Constraint don't follow object

lyansart

hello guys,

pretty sure it's a silly question but atm can't wrap my head around it.

I have a rbd cache of a wall destruction. now, i would like to constraint other objects on it (window frame) but having it on another simulation.

What It's happening atm is that my constraint stay in place and don't stay attached to the the different wall pieces when they are imported in the new sim as a Deforming static object.
Any hints on how to make it work / what i am doing wrong?

thanks!

use another rbdpacked object (for your animated pieces from previous sim) and set it to Animated Static instead of using Static Object

you can also control this behavior using point attributes if you want to import all pieces using single rbdpacked object

Edited by anim

On 11/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, anim said:

use another rbdpacked object (for your animated pieces from previous sim) and set it to Animated Static instead of using Static Object

you can also control this behavior using point attributes if you want to import all pieces using single rbdpacked object

Hey Tomas, thanks for taking time to answer,

Importing the object in DOP works fine, what doesnt work is updating the constraints by being attached to this moving object. They seem to be 'frozen' on the first frame object..

my point was that by using deforming geometry the transform of the object is not updating, just the geometry, therefore the constraints, that are moved by object transform will not update unless you are attaching the constraints directly to object's points

so either attach them to the points if your geometry is truly deforming, or use transforming (animated) rbds

On 1/12/2019 at 4:24 PM, anim said:

glue should work too

does it? It doesn't seem to keep it attached neither with glue or with a hard constraint.. 

Does anyone have had this issue?
This my example: 

(Considering that where i have the simulated rubber toy i have indeed a cache - so i cannot simulate everything together)

seems so easy and still I can't seem to make it work..:huh:

test_constraint_01.hipnc

Here I made the basic setup, I believe this is what you are after.

Red wall simulated as "Layer 1" then sent to "Layer 2" sim as animated static object and active sphere objects are attached to it. 

Something important; Always set the constraints between "active" -" animated static objects" breakable otherwise solver will be confused and may cause erratic behaviour as it will be stuck between unmoveable animated objects and unbreakable constraints.

Hope this helps

Constraints.mov

Animated_To_Active_Constraints_Yigit.hip

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lyansart said:

Thanks Yigit! I see this is working because your object is animated static obj.. What if it was deforming? Whole new story?

with deforming you need to attach to geo points (@anchor_type and @anchor_id) instead of just an object

however you don't need to have your object set to deforming, transforming packed objects count as animated geo, so just don't unpack your original packed rbd geo for use in the new sim

Edited by anim