Navy Captain Character

zoki

Hi

here is wip render of my new character waiting to be rigged, textured and displacement mapped in Houdini.

ca.jpg

c.jpg

cb.jpg

I have some questions regarding rigging coat!

How should I setup coat tails because I want them to be animated in wind but I wouldnt necesarily want to do cloth sim and wait one week to render :blink: just plain bones?wire deformers?

any c&c welcome

regards

Zoran

!!!important!!!

if you dont see images go to my blogsite!

it looks cool, you should try to change the RenderTab -->Geometry--As is option to be polygons as a subdivision surface. Mantra and renderman can do this and it will help take the edges away. It will change how you model some of the detail work and eliminate the use of the subdivideSOP if you are using it. Hopefully it won't blow up when you try to render it as a subD surface... sometimes depending on where and how you model things... this can blow things up.

As far as the coat goes... I would just rig it with standard bones.. and find a nice way to animate the wind effect. There are a number of ways to do that bit.

-k

Hi

thanks for replies&sugestions

jason

I have a little scene-shot idea for this guy, but it is very demanding and complex for one guy, so I am even toying with idea to put a little brief toegether and post it here and who wants can take part of it and community guys finnish it for their portfolios-and learn tons on the way

this wouldnt be for senior guys like you and others but mostly for newb Houdini guys to get a little non commercial piece into portfolio and its easier to finnish it if its a group driven idea

thekenny

Thanks for the tip, didnt know about this, and its really helpful!!!

I will re render and post the difference

edward

i was thinking the same :rolleyes:

It is a nice way to implement dops , what kind og changes would I need then in geometry-or I can bring whole coat in dops?

No, I was just thinking of doing some wires in DOPs and then use the WireCapture/WireDeform SOPs to deform your geometry. I just realized a problem with this though. I'm not sure how weighting will blend in with your bones. So thekenny's idea seems simplest. Just rig some bones. You can always use Follow Curve IK on the bones on the wire dynamics solved from DOPs later on if you want.

Thanks Edward

yes this sounds cool to use dops wire just for guiding bones

I will see how much I progress in Houdini rigging until high poly-displacement map is done for Captain

One question though

If you check I am doing this starfish

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4448

I would like to rigg it before captain for learning purpose

I would like this starfish to behave like somekind of softbody in maya

How can I do this in Houdini?

I would like starfish to have bones for tentacle animation but also to have one placement locator so when you pick it and place it on rocks or flat sand it should adapt to it

regards

Zoran

Like kenny mentioned, I'd likely try bones first. What I would suggest though is a series of IK chains, with the goals parented to the control points on a object level path. These control points I would then

bring into chops to create an ambient "wind" movement.

That might be fun, with the opportunity to bring in an audio sample of wind that you could use to drive the curve.

Thanks Edward

yes this sounds cool to use dops wire just for guiding bones

I will see how much I progress in Houdini rigging until high poly-displacement map is done for Captain

One question though

If you check I am doing this starfish

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4448

I would like to rigg it before captain for learning purpose

I would like this starfish to behave like somekind of softbody in maya

How can I do this in Houdini?

I would like starfish to have bones for tentacle animation but also to have one placement locator so when you pick it and place it on rocks or flat sand it should adapt to it

regards

Zoran

Offhand, I'm not sure. Others will have better ideas. I suppose one way is just to layer a lattice (with crossbars) deformation after it so that you can run it through the Spring SOP or Softbody POP. Another way perhaps is to feed it through the cloth solver. I don't know how one would really go about doing these things though. Just ideas. :)