pause simulations, turn off computer, resume later

anicg

Possible? I tried "save to disk in background", but if I pause and turn off the computer I cannot resume. Is there a way to resume without the need to check how many frames are done, then restart "save to disk in background" for the remaining frames?

That is what .sim files are for. You are essentially caching the state of the simulation. You should be able to resume from the last saved .sim frame number. When you resume, resume from the next frame number, not frame #1.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

is it just adding the extension .sim instead of .bgeo.sc inthe file name? And most importantly does it know where it stopped or do I need to know where it stopped. Why am I asking this question? I've used E-on Vue, and there is a resume render button, you don't care where it has stopped because it knows where it has stopped, you just click one button. So for Houdini, do I need to go to the folder where the sim saved, check the last file number (frame number) and make note of the next one, type it in the file cache starting frame and then press "save to disk in background". In short: Does houdini know where it stopped or does it need me to type it?

• 2 years later...

I'd like to continue this conversation. I was searching for a solution and came to this thread. I also want to know the entire process of this pause and resume. The cache files are being stored as bgeo.sc . 

Please share a step-by-step process to pause and resume. I chose 'save to disk in background' and I got this render manager box. How can I pause this process, shut down my laptop and resume back from where it started?

image.thumb.png.d010e6cdc7d1d0b902db07455aeda6d4.png

The .sim files are generated by the AutoDopNetwork node.

Set the timeline to Play Once, rewind and play the simulation.

Click stop around 34 frames.

Close Houdini.

Reopen the file in Houdini and you should see a blue cache progress bar loaded with the file. Move to frame #34 and press play to continue simulating.

Untitled-1.jpg

You can see in my blue bar, here, that the previous "Checkpoint" cache is a slightly dimmer color.

ap_flip_sim_continue.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1