Super Defined Realistic Male (nudity)

MatrixNAN

Hey Overload,

ZBrush man I can't get up to this poly count in Houdini on Windows without it crashing even with more than 2 times the computing resources. I am doing a combo of procedural modeling Houdini and Linear modeling in ZBrush and XSI. I am doing all of the procedural stuff in Houdini. I can only do the high poly counts in XSI and ZBrush so I am handling all of that kind of modeling in there. When I say want to make trees, make armor base etc then I use Houdini. The combo seems to be pretty fast and effective workflow. I am going to do the texture painting in ZBrush and Photoshop.

I have been playing around with HDRI lighting in Houdini and some shader stuff too. Managed to make a chrome shader and trying to test out some other ideas. I can only get up to around 800,000 polygons in Houdini's Subdivide node before Houdini crashes on Windows without of ram messages. I have 4 gigs of ram so it kind of hurts. lol I just got in Mandrivia and I am waiting for my hard drives to come in. As soon as they do I am going to install Mandrivia and get Houdini on Linux and see if I can't get a big ram savings on Linux. Normally with Houdini I get a huge ram savings in Linux over Windows.

Character Model is currently around 8 million polys.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Hey Edward,

Maybe this is just a failing in my knowledge of Houdini but I didn't know of a Subdivision Surfaces SOP. I know you can do render Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces which is what I am doing but that does not allow me to sculpt up the various levels of detail or use VEX SOPs to mix and mold the surface of the model. It does however render really fast. I am rendering everything turned up high on Mantra in about 10 seconds which is really fast. Loving the Mantra man and the Render Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces.

Another Update Legs:

th_RealisticMaleCharacterLegs_01.jpg

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Hey All,

Ok I have smoothed out the connections between the muslces and that seemed to have worked to bring down the definition and still have it look more real and natural. So lets take a vote. Vote for your preference. Vote for the 1st leg image post or for the 2nd leg image post. If you just want to do a fast post just post 1st or 2nd. Thanks for the comments guys n gals, its helping to make my work better and regulate me going over board or under board.

2nd Leg Image Posting:

th_RealisticMaleCharacterLegs_02.jpg

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Hey MG,

Yeah thats what I thought he was talking about but I wanted to make sure because Edward is a pretty smart dude, and I know that he knows stuff I don't begin to know in Houdini. I am already using the Render Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces in the OBJ level of the Geometry OBJ. I have to say SideFX has gotten that Mantra so dang fast. Wow man I am getting like 5 second renders with setting turned up high. Thats insane I love it. lol :);)

Oh something I need to flag about. I ran into in Houdini 8.1.704 is the Duplicate SOP keeps crashing Houdini a lot every time I go into a picking session. Also the model disappears when I go into a picking session for the duplicate sop and its in a subnet. I have to take the nodes out of the subnet just to do operations and then cut and paste them back in. I wasn't having Houdini crash on me like this is version 8.1.655. I am running Houdini on Windows 64 XP Pro. NVIDIA FX3400 an AMD X2 64bit dual core chip if that helps anyone.

I do have a question for the community. Is it possible to do a painted selection in Houdini from images or a paint brush tool?

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

If you've got a reproducible problem, then we need a reproduceable .hip file. :) See this thread from the sidefx forum that Wolfwood graciously put together:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...opic&t=5972

Are you talking about using an image as a paint brush? The paint sop lets you do that. However, there's no 3D painting tool where you can brush on 3D geometry into an image.

Hey Edward,

I could probably make it reproduceable because it seems to happen at about the sametime everytime. Well I didn't mean an image for a brush although that is super cool that you can do that and I didn't mean use geometry as a brush. Rather I meant using an image to drive modeling operations, and I don't mean just moving points around. I was wondering if an image could be used in order to do a selection on the geometry? Sort of like mask painting in ZBrush but I had other ideas for it than what they were doing in ZBrush. I was thinking of more of a Houdini like method where I could use an image to drive the modeling operations procedurally. For instance would be good if I could paint on an image and the darkness of my brush would drive a poly extrude operation in an OTL. I know it sounds kind of strange but when coupled with other tools it would be pretty powerful. So I was wondering if this was possible?

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

You know that you can paint arbitrary attributes in the Paint SOP right? Just enable the Override Cd parameter and put in your own attribute. So you can just paint like a "height" attribute for example. However, there's nothing wrong with just using Cd to drive your procedural setup either. Is that what you mean?

BTW, for you or anyone else who might be interested, using attributes whether they come from images, painted, or procedurally generated is what Houdini is all about. Lots of examples in the help under the AttribCreate SOP.

Another recent example I did where the attribute was created via proximity:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&highlight=

painted.hipnc

Hey Edward,

Man has anyone told you how awesome you are lately. lol Thanks man thats exactly what I was talking about. That is soooo cool dude. The killer thing is I have used the paint tool to paint other attributes from the tutorial in the help file on the Peltmapping tool where you can paint the tension of the pelt. I just didn't even think of using that. Thanks for the example. That just gave me some more ammo for Houdini. :);) Man I am excited. This is awesome.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

ummm did i give you permission to use my physique for your model???

just thought id squeeze that comment in, between gym sessions!

good work :)

:lol: hehe.

Model looks really nice Nate :) Any plans on what you will do with it when finished? Maybe pose or animate? Clothing? Just wondering. Nice work though..keep it up :)

Anthony