BBox Rotate by Max Length?

7 hours ago, Noobini said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

here's my virtually no VEX effort. The VEX I used is so basic any dunce would be able to decipher.

vu_AlignY.hiplc

This is practically what I have without the VOP.  =0)
I'm a dunce & this makes sense to me but I wouldn't have been able to work it out alone. So good to see another way of doing it guys thanks.

6 hours ago, Stevie Mac said:

Yes but I've made my own Fracture tool.  Maybe there's an answer in the RBDFracture tool then too.
Thanks for the help man.

ok since I don't really know your tool and its usage...maybe it is needed.

But for a whole bunch of wood planks pointing every which way...the rbdmaterial fracture does the grain with respect to individual longest side....if you tick on fracture per piece (instead of leaving it en masse)

I did try a peek inside it to see how it's done...but not very good at VEX I'm afraid.

Guys how do we get this to work with the geo tho as this is spitting out the Bounding box?
Also after adding the High poly geo the axis are off so my version doesn't work & niether does Noobini's.
How do I get the Geo in to match what we've done with the bounding boxes so I can use the Rest Node?

Thanks

Shed_H_Clean.bgeo.sc

vu_AlignY_HighGeo.hiplc

Edited by Stevie Mac
needed to add something

1 minute ago, Noobini said:

keep orig in the bound ?

Nope tried that as I was gonna delete it after but somehow the rotations are wrong prob soemthing to do with axis being off so they need to be set.
It works with Alain 2131's heavy Vex one but man that thing is really complicated!

9 minutes ago, Noobini said:

btw, that's a quick&dirty delete the bbox, prims 6-11, but what if your GEO is way more complexed, organic, maybe safer to groupbyrange, select the last 6 faces and blast them

Ok yours is working now.
How do I get the planks back to the original positions tho? I've tried adding a rest at the beining of the loop & the end but even after deleting the BBoxes its not working. 
It's saying the Typologies don't match.

11 minutes ago, Noobini said:

morph it back to orig pos...personally I don't like this approach for some reason...there's got to be a more elegant way.

vu_AlignY_OrigGeo2.hiplc

Ah right I didn't know you could do that, nice thanks for the help mate!
There does seem to be a few ways to do it out there but I've not found a simple one yet this'll do for now & I'll look into it more.

Thanks again mate.

• Like 1

righto, I think this is the more elegant solution where it stores the orig xform, then uses that to go back from Origin

Now you can do whatever you need to using the NICELY LINED UP PART off to the side. I don't really know if this workflow is usable in your tool since I don't have that. If not, just stick to the prev version.

vu_AlignY_OrigGeo3.hiplc

Edited by Noobini

last one, promise !!!

This one has the uv quickshade as your pretend custom process...which could be anything....after that the pieces all get back to their orig world space nicely..taking the custom process results with them....the custom process is longer off to the side.

The only difference is the pieces are lined up to Y at Origin AND still being centered...ie. not being moved up to ground level as before, shouldn't be a showstopper I don't think.

vu_AlignY_OrigGeo4.hiplc

Edited by Noobini

10 hours ago, Noobini said:

last one, promise !!!

This one has the uv quickshade as your pretend custom process...which could be anything....after that the pieces all get back to their orig world space nicely..taking the custom process results with them....the custom process is longer off to the side.

The only difference is the pieces are lined up to Y at Origin AND still being centered...ie. not being moved up to ground level as before, shouldn't be a showstopper I don't think.

vu_AlignY_OrigGeo4.hiplc

Ah this one is great man!
Just sad I couldn't work it out all the way but I got half way there.
It's nice to learn how you used the game tool nodes  as I haven't used any of those much or know what they all do.

Thanks again!