LOP's/USD workflow worth it?

Hi

I had a quick look at LOP's and the USD workflow, but I can't figure out if it's "worth" to implement in my workflow.

I really like to have things in system and love optimization, but I am only doing relative small jobs and never working on teams.

maybe someone can make it clearer when it will make sense to use LOP's and USD in a Houdini context?

19 hours ago, An_pi said:

Hi

I had a quick look at LOP's and the USD workflow, but I can't figure out if it's "worth" to implement in my workflow.

I really like to have things in system and love optimization, but I am only doing relative small jobs and never working on teams.

maybe someone can make it clearer when it will make sense to use LOP's and USD in a Houdini context?

Generally the more collaborative is the environment you work in, the more sense make things like USD. In my humble opinion, at the current state of LOPs, and especially if you work alone, i guess there is currently little to no benefit from the new workflow. True LOPs introduced some very cool features that will eventually be useful for all users, but from my trying out it seems LOPs is not yet polished and mature enough to be used reliably - at least not for most people/studios. It's certainly just a matter of time thou. Everything about LOPs looks very promising and sidefx typically delivers a solid stuff. So I'm staying tuned :)

• Thanks 2

I think a lot of the shortcomings of Solaris at this stage are really more about the current state of USD. If you subscribe to the USD Google group you get an idea of just how much things are in flux on the rendering side.