High Subdivisions

Hi guys,

Im working in Houdini and exporting my file as an Alembic to render it back in 3D Max with Vray.

My question is, I need to render my final scene with everything looking nice and smooth, if I import it into Max and apply the TurboSmooth (subdivide) modifier, it cant handle it, and if I do it in Houdini and export, my Alembic will just be ridiculously huge.

Any suggestions or quick tips you guys recommend?

Thanks!

can you just subdivide at rendertime? it's very common practice, you don't want to unnecessarily bake that to alembic

Vray can render alembic as proxy and also has subdivision render property so shouldn't be an issue

On 08/05/2020 at 3:09 AM, anim said:

can you just subdivide at rendertime? it's very common practice, you don't want to unnecessarily bake that to alembic

Vray can render alembic as proxy and also has subdivision render property so shouldn't be an issue

For some reason in Max when I add the turbosmooth, even at a value of 0 (and render value at 1 or 2), it still doesnt accept to add that modifier, i think just because of how big the file is.

Not talking about turbo smooth, that's still gonna happen in MAX before sent to renderer

There must be some Vray property you can set to tell Vray to render the object as subd. Also vray proxy, to render .abc directly so that MAX doesn't even have to load it

Sorry I can't provide exact info, not familiar with vray for MAX 

EDIT: here, VrayProxy in MAX can directly load .abc and also provides subd parameters, https://docs.chaosgroup.com/m/mobile.action#page/38571961

Also if you don't want to use proxy you should be able to use this modifier to do render time subdivisions (even though it's called displacement, it can do both) https://docs.chaosgroup.com/m/mobile.action#page/38572114

Edited by anim