Natural Wind Movement on Vellum Cloth

existenceproof

Hello all, 

I'm looking to create a wind force that flows through vellum cloth in one direction. I feel like I'm getting close with offset on a pop force but it seems like the wind is moving the cloth uniformly all at once and I can't figure out how to fix that. I've attached a reference of the flowing cloth I'm trying to create and a hip of where I'm at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

videoplayback2.mp4

Simple_FlagWind_01.hiplc

keep it simple....for real that is...i mean while you're testing out stuff...don't weigh yourself down with a highres grid and all the chattels with it...planarpatch is so simple to use, change res however you like, the seams (in this case top) just work.

then as you go for an endless tweakfest with the wind...it runs far quicker than with the highres grid.

Really_Simple_FlagWind_01.hiplc

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noobini said:

keep it simple....for real that is...i mean while you're testing out stuff...don't weigh yourself down with a highres grid and all the chattels with it...planarpatch is so simple to use, change res however you like, the seams (in this case top) just work.

then as you go for an endless tweakfest with the wind...it runs far quicker than with the highres grid.

Really_Simple_FlagWind_01.hiplc

Thanks Noobini! I haven't used the planar patch, that works really well. I think I will adapt your naming convention as I tweak until I end up with really_really_really_really_really_ridiculously_ simple_flagwind_01 :D

I'd suggest using the Wind POP (or Wind on the solver), instead of faking it with Force POP with noise

you don't even need noise for realistic behavior, but if you want you can add some in Wind POP

here is a simple example with just linear wind applied and all the movement is just due to the drag and lift, there are 2 solvers 1. using just pure solver parematers, 2. equivalent but using nodes inside that you can extend like enabling noise etc if you need

Simple_FlagWind_01_mod.gif.73e759e0c7c063176aec059da7ac44a6.gif

Simple_FlagWind_01_mod.hiplc

Edited by anim
  • Like 1