Houdini Redshift build advice

gerescm

Hello wizards, I am about to build my first PC ever, I have no clue on  hardware specification stuff, I have like $3000-$4000 budget and I want to invest my money wisely that's why I need your help.

I would use this PC for Houdini and Redshift mainly, mostly motion design and a little bit of simulations, and i want to be able to upgrade this setup overtime.

I also dont know if I am missing something important.

This is what i came up with:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, S-AM4, 3.80GHz, 12-Core, 64MB L3, con Disipador Wraith Prism RGB

Motherboard Gigabyte ATX X570 UD, S-AM4, AMD X570, HDMI, 128GB DDR4 for AMD

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 2400MHz, 32GB (4 x 8GB)

GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming, 8GB 256-bit GDDR6, PCI Express x16 3.0

HDD SSD Samsung 860 PRO, 2TB, SATA III, 2.5"

Liquid Cooling Raidmax TORNADO RC240

Case Corsair Carbide SPEC-054

Power source Corsair CX750M 80 PLUS Bronze, ATX, 120mm, 750W

I appreciate any tips!

Edited by gerescm

If you purchase 4 8gb chips now, you'll fill all the slots on the motherboard. This means when you want to add more memory, you'll basically be throwing those chips away (or repurpose them in another rig)

Consider choosing 2 16gb chips to start with, then you'll have two slots available to expand with.

Instead of choosing the bronze on the power supply you might want to upgrade to the gold. I know it's only a 5% difference, but over time you'll draw fewer watts from the electrical grid at a 50% load.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=80+plus+bronze

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

I also would add to get at least 2 graphics cards. 8GB of vram is kind of on the limit but again it depends of what you do. I will get 2 though since 1 on them will eating resources when connected to your monitor. 

• 1 month later...

I have an RTX 2080 Super as well, which I'm pretty happy with, although I'm considering a second one... or just doing a new Redshift-focused build after the 3000 series cards are released (presuming the RTX 2080 Ti will drop in price). You may want to consider 64 GB of RAM out of the gate if that's not too much (I know this post is a month old, so that may be a little late, but hey) :)