Rendering destroying my mental health

Hello guys,

This is after much research that I resigned myself to a call for help :)

First, my mantra freezes my computer when I tweak some stuff and see the result in real-time in the render view.
I was advised to pause the render every time I make a change because of my weak computer (AMD Radeon 580x, Ryzen 7 2700X 8 cores, 32GB RAM).
This improved and it crashes less.

Now that I finally managed to hit the render to MPLAY or render to disk, it freezes at some point. Last time it was in frame 3.
I tried to render with .exr, .tiff and .jpg, it is the same problem.

I tried to adjust the camera frustum, which I believe reduces the area processed during rendering.

Really nothing works (to my current knowledge), and this is supposed to be my first render! How sad!!!

It doesn't generate a crash report (I think) as it doesn't really crash but freezes, and I have to force shut down my computer, which I did dozens of time and I am wondering if this is healthy for my computer to keep doing...

I will upgrade my computer but at the moment everything is sold out so I am waiting.

Any tips?

Thank you very much

Hello @Librarian Thanks for getting back. I am rendering a very simple Vellum tetrahedral sim. One environment light and another light. I am using a few principled shaders for the textures (what do you mean by 'proc'?).
I have attached my file. I replaced the geometry with an oval shape and reduced the sim to 20 frames for simplicity. Otherwise, the rest is the same.

It still freezes at frame 3.

Regarding what you said about how much data uses a frame, I don't know how to answer that. Would be great to learn this as well.

If you or anyone else can have a look, that would be fantastic, although I understand you have more important things to do.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by anbt

@Librarian I removed the displacement along normal and it is working now! Oh god, all that time banging my head when the solution was quite simple.
I added extra lights and have been rendering for 16 hours so far and this is around 80% complete... First time sleeping with a noisy computer on.

Thanks for your help

Edited by anbt

I was going to test your scene ( my 'puter is weaker than yours and I've had no such stability problems ; mac from 2010 w/22gb ) but the links are gone - have you been watching the ram? A big part of working with dynamics is knowing how to optimize them, much moreso than in other disciplines.